Contributor

Advice on removing plastic like coating on new sheets

I have been a Northern Nights sheet fan for years but lately my purchases seem to have a coating on them that even multiple washings will not remove.. I have even tried adding baking soda to my washing machine..... any suggestions would be appreciated... Thank You!

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on removing plastic like coating on new sheets

I like to use ammonia (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) when I wash my sheets. Do not use ammonia with bleach. Just add ammonia to the wash with regular detergent. The ammonia cuts body oils, lotions and any other organic substance that might be soiling your sheets. It will also remove build-up of any softeners you might be using. Imo, the sheets come out brighter and cleaner. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don't the no wrinkle sheets have to be treated with something?  I bought a sheet set from Q with that feature - gave them away - they seemed extra heavy - I had to run each sheet (queen) separately.  That was extra water and electric use - figured over time they would cost more to maintain than ditch them now.

Honored Contributor

I once bought a set of Threshold sheets from Target and my husband wanted to know if I used plastic shower curtains to make the bed!

They were so awful and no amount of multiple washings did anything to make them better.  

Honored Contributor

I would probably return sheets that felt like they had a plastic coating on them.  I like very soft cotton sheets.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Thanks.. I will try it... I have bought Northern Nights sheets for many years and have never come across this issue until now. Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter, I know exactly what you mean about the plastic feel to Target threshold sheets.  Not good!  LM

Honored Contributor

I have been using Threshold sheets/Target.  I have had no problem with them.  They was nicely and not wrinkled when they come out of the dryer.

Respected Contributor

@9531  Would you mind checking the tag and letting us know what the sheets are made of?  I would like to know so I can check before purchasing new sheets.  

Used to be only cotton, but now I see polyester, modal, viscose, tencel, etc..

......You look like I need a drink.....