Trusted Contributor

My washer repairman said Whirlpool, Maytag and Kenmore are all made by the same company. As to the non-agitator, he said stay away from them. The only problem i have with the energy saving feature is the water doesn't even cover the clothes when it starts agitating. He said the water level is determined by the weight of the clothes, so to get around that, try wetting down the clothes before you put them in. This seems to help.

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to check out consumers for their ratings - as they change every year. 1-1/2 yrs ago, I bought the Whirlpool Impeller Washing Machine w/o agitator. Bought it on sale at Lowes for $479. and took the 5-yr warranty for $100. Also purchased 2 stainless steel hoses to connect the machine for $29. I've had no problems - and u can open the lid any time the machine is working. I've been happy with it.

Valued Contributor

I bought the Maytag Bravos top load machine. I loved it but it only lasted 4 years. My brother bought the same machine at the same time for his family and his lasted only 4 years also. The bearing wore out. We were so disappointed.It could not be repaired.

I now have the Whirlpoo Duet Front load machine. I lke it just as well but who knows how long it will last. I am amazed how well it cleans our clothes. I believe one important thing to remember with the energy effiicient washers is to use very little detergent. It is hard to get used to but I only use one tablespoon of liquid detergent and my clothes come out perfect. I use All he detergent.

Using too much detergent causes buildup which causes mold.

Valued Contributor

speed queen all the way!!!!!!!!!

beckyblu

Honored Contributor

After our terrible experience with the top load non-agitator types, we got a front-load LG pair that we love!  They do a great job on clothes and our knits really do come out without wrinkles!  The steam settings are useful, and you can easily wash mixed loads without upsetting the balance thing that the top loaders didn't do well with.

I wouldn't want to go back to an old agitator model.  I like the new washers and the settings they and the dryers have that do such a good job with knits.

Will they last?  Who knows?  What does these days?

Honored Contributor

I just had my GE washer (sensor style) and dryer go bad in 5 yrs. the cost to fix was $97 less than buying new ones!

I really wanted Speed Queen excellent reviews, etc. BUT $1700 for the pair was ridiculous. I do not plan to stay in this house another few years so I bought Maytag Centennial style. Both came with 10 year motor warranties. I have agitator style (friends & repairman  told me to stay away from non agitator style and sensor fill).

Im happy with the Maytag and both cost only $800. Easy on my wallet I only do 2 loads of laundry a week.

Dont know of you have Famous Tate good place to deal with, free install & delivery.

Honored Contributor

When we arrived at camp this year I found that they have replaced the very old top load washers in the laundramat with front load Speed Queens. I was over ther moon thinking they would be so nice.Wrong. They don't get the clothes clean. They only wash for 5 min. All my white towels and our white underwear are all dingy looking. I'm very dissappointed. I thought Speed Queen was all that and more - only to find my clothes aren't even getting clean. The ancient old Kenmore top loaders that were there before did a much better job.

Respected Contributor

These manufacturers seem to be getting away with making washing machines that don't last and don't use enough water. 

They are expensive to only last a few years -- at that!!

I had a GE refrigerator that went out one month after the year's warranty and GE would not help me. 

I have a new LG front load washer/dryer and it's working out okay.  It has the largest tub which is great for washing king sized blankets/comforters. 

Respected Contributor

I love my top loader LG washer (also have the dryer), you can fit a king size comforter in it!

Also, worried about the water saver, there's a button you can push to "add water", it's quiet, works wonderful, towels come out perfect and have done numerous blankets and large bulky items.

Where was this washer all my life, makes it so easy.

Super Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

My washer's timer went out for the third time, so I think it is time for new one (never liked the GE I have anyway).   I want a top loader, no agitator washer.  Would like one without water saver, but they don't exist now and this one does have deep water wash selection..  Anyway washer/dryers  are on sale now for 4th of July sale.  Price is good I think $469, plus tax, free delivery and set up and take away old washer.  I am also planning to purchase the 5-year warranty package for $99.

Any pros and cons on Maytag top loader, no agitator would be appreciated before I take the plunge.  Thanks and looking forward to responses.

I recently got a new washer & in doing my research, I purchased a Speed Queen.. Maytag also got good reviews, but IMHO Speed Queen was just a cut above.. SQ is a little bit more expensive, but in the long run, it's worth it.. I had a kenmore for over twenty yrs & kenmore is not the same quality as yesteryear ..