Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice for keeping snakes out of house

Hi@Desertdi

I know you live in Arizona and snakes come with that territory.  Luckily you haven't had rattlesnakes aor the Mojave green rattler.  They are lethal. 

Get the experts to exterminate or move your harmless snakes and have them check out where they get into your home. 

You would never want to have a dangerous snake or any snake lay a clutch of eggs in between your walls.  That's the trouble with snakes - you may find one but if it laid eggs, they multiply.  Take care.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Hi@Desertdi

I know you live in Arizona and snakes come with that territory.  Luckily you haven't had rattlesnakes aor the Mojave green rattler.  They are lethal. 

Get the experts to exterminate or move your harmless snakes and have them check out where they get into your home. 

You would never want to have a dangerous snake or any snake lay a clutch of eggs in between your walls.  That's the trouble with snakes - you may find one but if it laid eggs, they multiply.  Take care.

Hiya @Puzzle Piece     We had that very problem with scorpions in the office where I worked.     Glad to be retired!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi I'd wear some thick soled shoes and stomp away if there were scorpions in my area.  I don't like tarantulas either.  Really, I mean it, take care!

I understand the javalinas are also a problem too.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi - they actually sell snake shot - hard to keep in stock - I wonder why, lol

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@bosmamaa - I don't want to scare you, but NJ has its fair share of copperheads and rattlers too along with many other varieties! 

I'm originally from the northern part of the state and there were copperheads around!

Agreed. I live in South Jersey and snakes are very prevalent. Oddly enough you can get in trouble in NJ for messing with a snake. There was a specific rattlesnake in the Pine Barrens (I looked it up and it's the Timber Rattlesnake) that is an endangered species and you're not allowed to mess with it or face fines/imprisonment. New Jersey has a Venomous Snake Response Team (VSRT) that you're supposed to call if you're having an issue with a Timber Rattler or similar snake and they'll come and typically inform you on how you have to modify your behavior to avoid upsetting the snake. (They typically won't remove the snake however because it's an endangered species.) 

There used to be a gardening show on CBN way, way back that originated from Georgia and the gardener had a snake expert on there one day after seeing a rattle snake and becoming alarmed. The expert assured him that there were probably dozens of rattlesnakes on his property but he just hadn't encountered them before as the snakes know how to avoid people. The gardener laughed and assured the expert that if they were there, he'd have seen them. The expert and him made a friendly bet and the expert went off with his tools and found something like twenty rattle snakes in a few minutes time and said there were probably that many more that he hadn't found. The poor gardener was really rattled now, but the expert assured him he was perfectly safe and that the snakes had been there as long as the gardens had been there and that he had nothing to fear. The snakes would avoid him if he gave them the chance.

Snakes are quite literally everywhere they can be and do a good job of avoiding humans most of the time. If you truly knew how many snakes were around you, you'd really freak out. They're just really good at avoiding people most of the time, so you don't know they're there.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Desertdi - they actually sell snake shot - hard to keep in stock - I wonder why, lol

I think you can make a spray can snake killer by combining component cooler spray (comes out of the can at around -65 degrees fahrenheit and is used to cool electrical components that are overheating) with the spray head they use for wasp and hornet spray that lets you spray a concentrated stream from ten to fifteen feet away. Spraying a concentrated stream of minus sixty five degree liquid onto a cold blooded creature strikes me as being a very quick, efficient and likely relatively painless way, to kill one in short order. These sprays also get used in the medical field to flash freeze tissue samples. Here you'd be flash freezing a snake. You'd just need to combine the two different types of spray cans to get the range you'd want (ten to fifteen feet away) while still delivering enough spray to freeze the snake.

Environmentalists would have a coronary, but I'm betting it would be a big, big seller. It would be pricey as the better component cooler sprays retail for $15 and up for 10 ounces or so, but I suspect people would be more than willing to pay the price. Spray the head of the snake, freezing it, and you'd likely have a very dead snake in a few seconds time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Desertdi I'd wear some thick soled shoes and stomp away if there were scorpions in my area.  I don't like tarantulas either.  Really, I mean it, take care!

I understand the javalinas are also a problem too.

@Puzzle Piece     The javalinas look pretty fierce.......but they are vegetarians!    They like to uproot flower beds..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman - Where I live now we have something like 37 species - We've had a few copperheads in our garage and a couple of water moccasins around the property. 

I remember NJ has those laws regarding snakes. There are no laws in SC about killing snakes. We don't kill them we just don't want to step on them! 

I've also learned to "shake the bushes" before I start weeding or planting, lol. As much as I don't care for them and don't want them in my house, they really are good for the environment! I think I hate bugs more!!

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@gardenman - Where I live now we have something like 37 species - We've had a few copperheads in our garage and a couple of water moccasins around the property. 

I remember NJ has those laws regarding snakes. There are no laws in SC about killing snakes. We don't kill them we just don't want to step on them! 

I've also learned to "shake the bushes" before I start weeding or planting, lol. As much as I don't care for them and don't want them in my house, they really are good for the environment! I think I hate bugs more!!

As long as the snakes hear/feel you coming they'll generally get out of your way. In truth there are generally a whole lot of snakes out and about in warmer weather that escape our notice. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

bosmamaa, about 4 years ago my SIL found snake skin between towels in my guest bathroom.  We live in NC and dohave snakes in the yard but never in the house.  I was livid and cleaned and tossed everthing in one bathroom cabinet.  I went a misson to find something to deter them, and I did. I purchased  a plug in by Bell&Howell thst plugs into your outlet that sends soundwaves to deter.  I purchased 5 of these and they are stilln workiing.  They also deter rats, one of the best products I have ever prchased.