Valued Contributor

Re: Advice for keeping snakes out of house

[ Edited ]

msI have  2,  10,000 fish ponds and about  7 aceres of woods and grape vinyards. so, you can imagine the snake problems we HAD.My husband also employs stone masons so we have lots of stone walls .Snakes love them.Our problems were not garter snakes but poisonous copperheads and  northern rattlesnakes.When i found a copperhead ,a bigggggg one , in my kitchen on the backsplash. I knew i would move or find a solution . .After  lots of research  i found a product called liquid fencing.It is pricy about  100 a gallon but is concentrated and reeks of rotten eggs. the smell leaves in a day.best of all nontoxic for my fish and pets. The website tells how to apply.i use a pesticide spraypump ,the back pack kind to apply. it needs to be applied  around foundations in garages in cracks on stone wall crevices,etc. early  spring and fall .   Spring spraying makes them leave fall  spray prevents hibernation in these  sreas it will take several cycles but we went from hundreds to maybe 3 a summer.well worth it..Maryanne

Respected Contributor

Did anyone see that kid that opened the toilet recently and found a poisonous snake in the toilet bowl?   And then they called exterminators and found a nest of like 23 of them under the house!  I would be moving really quickly - they are probably all over that house. 

Frequent Contributor

Twopeas- yes I have dogs but keep basement door shut and they are actually big chickens!!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Not all snakes are bad. We were having a real problem with geckos , everywhere and getting into the house. Then a black rat snake (harmless) moved into our yard and once I got used to him slithering around in the flower beds - he put a real hurting on the number of geckos around our house. He never bothers us , stays outside and stays off the lanai. We named him Ash , because he's black. The geckos are no longer such a problem, and except for occasionally startling us, Ash is not a problem at all. The man who comes to control the bugs said if we can live with the snake he is the best bet ever to control mice and geckos.

True, not all snakes are bad. We have a black rat snake also. He's been here for years, and causes absolutely no trouble. Glad you accept him and his/her work in your yard. We also had a beautiful spotted king snake who lived in our greenhouse for years, and kept the carpenter bees down to a reasonable level. Seems he passed away during Katrina, or just left the area.

We live in S.E. Louisiana by the river and swamps.  Snakes are a 24/7 issue here, and many are copperheads and water moccasins.  We've had both in our garage, and once in the kitchen. Very dangerous, especially if you have a wood pile, where copperheads love to hide.  We do put moth balls out around the front entry (far enough away from the door to avoid an odor. Also around the back patios.  We use cayene pepper, as well as boric acid and cinnamon/nutmet.  Helps not only with snakes, but also with armadillos.  The best piece of advice we've had came from an exterminator, who told us to be sure we kept all doors and windows (and screens) tightly closed. It's easy to go outside - for just a minute - and the snake crawls in the momentarily open door.

Honored Contributor

Move!!

Honored Contributor

Definitely call an exterminator and also take care of sealing up any entry points.  

I would never want to mess around with snakes, even the non-poisonous kind.  Years ago, we were moved in to our newly built house before we got the landscaping in, I discovered a very large bull snake sunning himself in my backyard.  I shewed him away once but he came back.  Because I had small children who liked to play out there, I didn't give him another chance.  I got a spade and chopped his head off, but then left everything there for DH to dispose of later.

Valued Contributor

If no access to a flamethrower, definitely an exterminator...preferably one recommended by others with the same issue

Honored Contributor

@bosmamaa,

FYI: Garter snakes usually stay close to the area where they are born, so it's very likely all the snakes you've seen could actually be from the same litter.   Garter snakes are born alive and ready to go, and the female can give birth to as many as 40 babies.   

We actually decided to get rid of our side deck, because of a garter snake infestation.   We spent one entire summer killing garter snakes; they were out sunning on the deck all day long, and we had to be careful opening the door to go in or out or one would slither inside.   I killed 8 in one day, which is when we knew we had a problem.   We lost count of how many we killed, but that was the only year we had major problems with them.  

I would have an exterminator check the house for entry points; be sure to check around your dryer vent.   Put the mothballs heavy around the outside of your house; use glue traps inside the basement.   There are ultrasonic devices you plug into outlets that keep bats, rats, mice, and snakes away.  

Respected Contributor

I have rarely ever even seen a snake! I'm sorry for those of you who are having this problem but please post where it is all of you live(I know some did). I never want to live or even visit there!Smiley Frustrated

Here in NJ, where I live, snakes are not a problem.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Frequent Contributor

I wish I could move to NJ!!