Frequent Contributor

Advice for keeping snakes out of house

For the last several years I have had probably a total of 5 snakes in my basement and 1 in my kitchen. I need advice please!!  I am already stressing for spring, as I am absolutely terrified of them!!!! I live in a area where they are very prevalent. I know they are harmless (gardener snakes) but I can't handle them, especially in house! My question is have any of you had this problem and what did you do? I know it doesn't take much for them to get in. What sort of thing do I look for? TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice for keeping snakes out of house

I live in an area that has lots of snakes too. If they are in your basement, there is an opening somewhere. They can get in the smallest space. If you cannot find the space and close it up, can you call an exterminator and have him check the basement?

I've had them in my garage and on my patio. I'm always careful to make sure the doors are closed. Good Luck

Esteemed Contributor

@bosmamaa wrote:

For the last several years I have had probably a total of 5 snakes in my basement and 1 in my kitchen. I need advice please!!  I am already stressing for spring, as I am absolutely terrified of them!!!! I live in a area where they are very prevalent. I know they are harmless (gardener snakes) but I can't handle them, especially in house! My question is have any of you had this problem and what did you do? I know it doesn't take much for them to get in. What sort of thing do I look for? TIA!

They hate Mothballs.   

Frequent Contributor

I put them outside and one yr put some down basement and my poor son couldn't even sleep down there, what was I thinking? HAHA

Honored Contributor

Divorce? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

When our neighbor in Pittsburgh was having an issue with snakes it was found to be because she had mice. Snakes eat mice and go for the food source. Personally, I would pay an exterminator to handle this problem. They placed a lot of mouse traps and they found and sealed up the holes where both the mice and the snakes were getting in.They also advised her to keep decon out in the basement in high up places to keep the mice at bay in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@bosmamaa wrote:

They hate Mothballs.   

Who doesn't???  I would not want that smell in my house no matter what was coming inside!

Honored Contributor

Snakes don't like cinnamon and clove. Try making a spray using some essential oils. Recipes are easy to find.

Honored Contributor

Not all snakes are bad. We were having a real problem with geckos , everywhere and getting into the house. Then a black rat snake (harmless) moved into our yard and once I got used to him slithering around in the flower beds - he put a real hurting on the number of geckos around our house. He never bothers us , stays outside and stays off the lanai. We named him Ash , because he's black. The geckos are no longer such a problem, and except for occasionally startling us, Ash is not a problem at all. The man who comes to control the bugs said if we can live with the snake he is the best bet ever to control mice and geckos.

Esteemed Contributor

@bosmamaa  Do you have a pet? Cats or dogs will at least catch them if you can deal with the aftermath. I actually am fascinated with snakes and my dad used to love to tell anyone who would listen that I often had a gardener snake in my pocket.

Good Morning Graphic #1

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein