Honored Contributor

DH and I are doing a small update to our kitchen...new counter tops, backsplash (tile), microwave above the range, if I can find one small enough and paint.  The bulkhead is smooth, for wallpaper application, which I have always had papered, but I think I just want to paint it now.  I will need to add texture to the paint because the paint will look bad if I don't add some texture.   Has anyone had experience with adding silica to their paint?   I can just see  paint and 'sand' spewing all over the place!!  Any advice?

Respected Contributor

Re: Adding texture to paint?

I suggest going to a paint store and having them add the texture.  Unless you have a paint mixer at your house and know what amount to use, I can't see how you'd get a good mix.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Though I haven't added texture to paint, I have textured many walls and painted over. What type of texture are you trying to match? You can buy "knockdown Texture" in a spray can to apply to your wall and then paint. I have textured whole rooms with a broad knife and compound to get a stucco effect and then painted over. One more thought: since you have a smooth surface, have you considered tiling the space? You can purchase 12x12 squares of beautiful glass or tile which makes the job super fast and beautiful. Please follow up and let us know what you decided. Good luck.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

hmmm...I had thought about a coordinating tile for the bulkhead, my concern is the bottom of the bulk head would have to be done as well and it is a very narrow and long space (where of the top of the cupboards meet, the bulk head is just a bit wider than the cupboards).  I think that might be an issue.

The texture that I would match would be what is opposite the cupboards, it is a standard  plastered wall, not a knock down, which I know just adding silica to the paint would not really match what is already existing.

@pattypeep wrote:

Though I haven't added texture to paint, I have textured many walls and painted over. What type of texture are you trying to match? You can buy "knockdown Texture" in a spray can to apply to your wall and then paint. I have textured whole rooms with a broad knife and compound to get a stucco effect and then painted over. One more thought: since you have a smooth surface, have you considered tiling the space? You can purchase 12x12 squares of beautiful glass or tile which makes the job super fast and beautiful. Please follow up and let us know what you decided. Good luck.

Painting that area will be hard as well.  This is why I have always had it papered, and I do love wall paper but this time I wanted a change.  I can purchase wall paper that gets painted, that could solve the dilema.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hon, go to a book store and get a clearance book on textures.  There are so many that are beautiful!  I would suggest that you put maybe plexiglass on the wall behind the range because it will hold dirt and be more sanitary.

Respected Contributor

How about sponging 2 colors that are really close on and then covering it with a clear paint?   I use MinWax Polycrylic.  I've put sand in paint and have done a lot of flower pots.   Looks nice but I can't imagine having to wash it.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

A word of caution about using texturized paint:  To change it later, you will have to sand it off.   "Been there, done that."

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure textured paint in a kitchen would be easy to clean.

What about stenciling?