Honored Contributor

Re: Over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

@GingerPeach

absolutely agree.  I was only agreeing with the fact HOA fees in manufacturered home aka mobile communities are not usually low.

Of course, every situation is different & certainly it's important to look at all options.  

Living in a golf country club community my hoa fees are reasonable in my estimation for what is Included.  I do cringe at the  separate "tracking fees" every year for using a golf cart 😡.

Honored Contributor

Re: Active Adult/over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

About the only advantage we have found to owning the land our property is we can say we don't want people to toilet their dogs here. They still do it because they are incredibly ruide , but we have the right to tell them not to. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

About the only advantage we have found to owning the land our property is we can say we don't want people to toilet their dogs here. They still do it because they are incredibly ruide , but we have the right to tell them not to. 

@151949  In the community I'm in now, we own the land directly beneath our homes, plus our small back yards.  All the area in front of our homes is common area owned by the association and to which everyone has equal access.

We do have rules that say dog waste should be picked up, but, like everywhere else, it's done by those who care and not done by those who don't.  We all know it only takes one person to spoil it.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  Picking up dog poop does nothing to prevent dog urine from killing the grass. I never cease being amazed that people think it is OK to walk their dog in a neighbor's yard to toilet. Then if you say anything to them they will say Oh it's harmless. If it is so harmless to the grass & plants why aren't you walking him in your own yard?

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 - I have seen the same thing in my community. People with dogs walk them all over everyone's lawn, but never their own - I don't get it. One neighbor says "Oh, I walk him on Mrs. ___ lawn, because he always goes faster there" - WTF????

One day a guy was on my front lawn letting his dog cwap I walked outside and the dog must have had a problem because he continued going all over - I politetly asked him not to let his dog on my lawn again - his response was "Are you kidding me" - Mine was Absolutely not, lol.

We also had a neighbor whose dog was constantly getting out (yea, right) and using my yard as its toilet. Well, when I caught the dog doing this, I got out my large plastic bags, picked it up and walked down to their house and threw it on their sidewalk - The next time, my DH was out walking my dog and stepped in it and brought it into my house - I was not a happy camper - I went down to their house and told them if I continued to see their dog running loose, I was calling animal control.

And, guess what - I HAVE A DOG - I LOVE animals - but, my dog is not allowed on anyone's yard. 

Honored Contributor

@riley1 I love dogs too - however , not so much the majority of the dog owners in my neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

Had a relative that lived in a condo and it faced a golf course. She tired of seeing the golfers taking a potty break.

Trusted Contributor

@151949wrote:

I think that many people think ALL over 55 communities are gated and have an HOA. Neither is necessarily true. My DH's cousin lives in an over 55 where there are no gates. Friends of ours live in an over 55 rural area with no gates AND no HOA , though it is "deed restricted". There are , I suppose, many misconceptions about what over 55 community means, and I don't think there are any hard & fast rules.

On the other hand is the misconception that ALL gated communities with an HOA are over 55 communities. Also not so. I live in a gated community with an HOA that is not an over 55. As a matter of fact - here in Fl. anyway, it is pretty close to impossible to find a community of new homes that is not a gated community, at almost any price range.This seems to be something people look for now a days - so the builders provide it. Even mobile home and RV communities are gated around here.

You got it right.  We recently moved to Tampa Bay from Ohio (with some years in SC too), and I can't get over the fact that there are these darn gates everywhere.  And the neighborhoods are behind walls.  Makes me feel like the entire state of FL is one big prison.  When hubby and I tried to drive around to look at homes for sale we could enter very few neighborhoods because they were all behind walls and gates with super secret passwords.  We always like to drive up and down the street where a for sale home is located to decide if we even like the neighborhood before contacting a real estate agent to view the interior of a house.  We finally bought a lovely townhome and yes, it does have a wall but at least no dingaling gates.  How does anyone sell a house down here when prospective buyers can't even do a drive-by?

Esteemed Contributor

The "walls" are a sound barrier from the traffic.  Not attractive but very useful.  There is always lots of traffic!

Honored Contributor

@CJC Right now we are trying to sell our villa and , yes, the gated community is an issue.