Honored Contributor

Re: Over 55 communities. Pros/cons?

wrote:

Living in SW FL, there is  a 55+ community practially on every cornerSmiley Happy   They range from condos, townhomes, manufactured homes,  apts, and regular houses.    If you don't have grandkids you want to spend a lot of time at your home, there is no problem.. Do it if that is the lifestyle you desire.  

For some reason I am not aware of my small town has a law against buildings being more than 2 stories high. For this reason there are very few condos, apartments, townhomes or hotels here.It is nice at the beach there are not huge buildings obstructing the views.

Respected Contributor

I've lived in a 55+ community for 17 years and we've been happy here.  I'm in the minority I guess because I don't see where people are any more nosey here than any other place I've lived but I live in a very large Del Webb community and that may make a difference.  Here, we look out for each other more because we are older and we keep an eye out for our neighbors homes when someone is out of town , but I certainly don't have 'in my face' nosey neighbors.  Everybody kind of just does their own thing and nobody seems to care what others are up to at any given time.  Maybe a smaller place is entirely different.

Respected Contributor

I have lived in one for 12 years.

Pros:  Background checks so you know you don't live next to a felon.

Quiet and considerate neighbors so far.

You feel somewhat safe and can get out and walk.

You have more in common with the people there than in a neighborhood with young people raising children.

Cons: 

They go up every year more than your income goes up. 

It can be depressing seeing rescue in your community all the time.  However many are so active.

There are many rules to abide by.  You have very little control. 

Having said all that I would rather be in a community like this.

Respected Contributor

We are also looking.  There are several new communities near us all duplexes.  We would prefer single home but that is not an option in our area where land is a premium.

We noted these communities are filled with 50-somethings and most still work and are quite busy.

The downside:

they sell very fast for top $

starting price $350,000 for a small duplex

HOA fees $300 a month or more if you have a larger unit.

The one community has a $300 month HOA but they have a LOT OF ammenities, but the location is not my favorite.

I worry, it the HOA continue to grow ????  That's like having car payment forever!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for this thread.  After reading all the coments I have decided for now not to move into one of these communities.  My husband and I are currently renting a house in a regular neighborhood.  The only drawback to being a renter is that most of the neighbors know that and don't talk to you.  This has happened in a previous rental also but I would rather rent.  You can always pick up and leave.  Owning property ties you down.

Also I guess I was the nosey neighbor in my last rental as the people next door had a short fence and spent most of their time outside on the backyard patio.  It was easy to see what they were doing.  Before we left this rental they had put up a new 6 foot fence.  I hope they will enjoy their privacy but really what does that say about America today.  We can't be bothered with other people. 

Honored Contributor

This is an interesting thread to me because none of the over 55 communities in my area sound like what is being described. What I'm reading sounds like the long care facilities offered. 

The over 55 in my area are either townhomes or single family homes. They offer tennis courts, a pool and clubhouse. The homes are gorgeous, many are huge. The kitchens are pro-worthy. Rarely are people home; they all work. Near enough to all the things you want including public and private golf courses, hospitals, etc. It reminds me of when DH and I bought our first place; everyone was just starting out and no kids. Then, when kids started to arrive, they moved out to bigger homes/single family homes; I get that exact same feeling in the over 55 communities- DINKS aka duel income no kids. Quiet, beautiful properties, doing your own thing minus kids.

The high rises are fewer and far between, offer medical care (minimal) and are close to the hospitals. In these places, it's more 75 and over.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam  What you are describing is far from an over 55 community in Florida.Down here , basically over 55 means RETIRED and usually some sort of multi family homes - be it condos or villas or apartments.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@SahmIam  What you are describing is far from an over 55 community in Florida.Down here , basically over 55 means RETIRED and usually some sort of multi family homes - be it condos or villas or apartments.

@151949  No, it is over 55. I've been doing the rounds looking at them not only for DH and I, but for my in-laws. They have many friends who have moved into these communities as well. Many people still work well into their 80's and beyond because they choose to. Some are retired and travel. Others....who knows. This IS how it is where I live. If this is what the consumers want, then the developers are smart to give it to them and so far, it's working quite well.

Editing to add: I believe I read your post wrong. I'm adding therefore, that many friends of my in-laws DO have apartments/condos in Florida or Arizona for when they wish to get away from the cold/take a vacation.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIamwrote:

This is an interesting thread to me because none of the over 55 communities in my area sound like what is being described. What I'm reading sounds like the long care facilities offered. 

The over 55 in my area are either townhomes or single family homes. They offer tennis courts, a pool and clubhouse. The homes are gorgeous, many are huge. The kitchens are pro-worthy. Rarely are people home; they all work. Near enough to all the things you want including public and private golf courses, hospitals, etc. It reminds me of when DH and I bought our first place; everyone was just starting out and no kids. Then, when kids started to arrive, they moved out to bigger homes/single family homes; I get that exact same feeling in the over 55 communities- DINKS aka duel income no kids. Quiet, beautiful properties, doing your own thing minus kids.

The high rises are fewer and far between, offer medical care (minimal) and are close to the hospitals. In these places, it's more 75 and over.

@SahmIam  @151949

In California, there are both.  In fact, most states have both.

Over 55 (aka active adult) can be either apartments or attached homes, or they can be single family homes.

The continuing care communities are either ones where a resident can start off with independent living choices, then if needed a resident can get more care as he/she needs it.  That doesn't mean everyone will need it.  So, they pay the cost to move in (as one would when buying a home) but then pay a monthly fee that covers some meals, house cleaning, and some sort of eventual nursing care, and other things.  Typically the monthly cost remains the same which is what folks count on so they won't be hit with higher monthly nursing care later on.  At least, that's how they work around here.

I am not moving to a continuing care/assisted living community.

Active adult/over 55 communities are just for independent living.  There are no services other than maybe landscaping, and whatever club-type activities any one community might have to offer.  There is no nursing care offered and none expected.

The latter is the kind of over 55 community this thread is about.  It's not about moving to assisted living.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

We are also looking.  There are several new communities near us all duplexes.  We would prefer single home but that is not an option in our area where land is a premium.

We noted these communities are filled with 50-somethings and most still work and are quite busy.

The downside:

they sell very fast for top $

starting price $350,000 for a small duplex

HOA fees $300 a month or more if you have a larger unit.

The one community has a $300 month HOA but they have a LOT OF ammenities, but the location is not my favorite.

I worry, it the HOA continue to grow ????  That's like having car payment forever!

@Abrowneyegirl

You will want to find out what the HOA fees cover.  Typically a large portion covers insurance for the exterior of the home (if it's a condo or PUD/CID and the Association pays for upkeep of the exterior), plus front landscaping, plus private street maintenance, plus other items that would be unique to each development.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.