Honored Contributor

But first, just a reminder of the work she's done in other people's houses.  I've posted Nina Long of "Easterling & Long" before--  she's one of my favorites of the "up-and-comers".   These first 3 images are a mini-sampler of houses done for clients:   

Easterling_Long_0700.jpg

nina-nash-long-lacquered-grasscloth-wallpaper-butlers-pantry.jpeg

antique-oil-portrait-mantel-neel-reid-nina-nash-don-easterling.jpeg

So, on to her own house.  I apologize for the weird perspective of the following images.  I snatched them from the video that "Homeworthy" just did, touring her house.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.19.06 PM.png

Love the filigreed porch and the long windows.

She took the tawny color scheme from the pretty English fabric of the curtains.  Despite the classic air, note the toys in corner, proof that real people live here.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.27.52 PM.png

The living room is clearly not off-limits to this precious urchin!   Nina Long says that that original handsome 1938 fireplace, and the pretty crown molding was one of the reasons they took the house.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.20.59 PM.png

The pattern reminds me of a stylized Scottish thistle motif.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.28.25 PM.png

The layout of the room was difficult, she explained.  And then I noticed all the doors and traffic patterns you'd have to contend with, through the not-large space.  Love the yummy color of the lamp (maybe "taffy" or butterscotch?) that complements the warm color scheme  

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.27.11 PM.png

The thing about this 1938 house is that it's stately, but fairly small, and the rooms can be tight.  I don't think they have a family room, therefore the over-the-mantel TV, and toddler toys...

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.29.19 PM.png

Her traditionalism usually has something quirky thrown in.  Here below, it's an example of the art photography of celebrated "ironic" artist Slim Aarons.  The picture is of Marianne Faithfull, Desmond Guinness, and Mick Jagger in one of Guinness's Irish castles.  A very "Sixties" moment!   And I love that she surrounded it with her collection of delicate, unusual antique oyster plates.  A confident and effective juxtaposition... 

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.30.42 PM.png

She collects English and Italian oil paintings, so it's no wonder that she selected this gorgeous Italian landscape wallpaper by Schumacher, "Italy" for dining room.  A nod to her Italian heritage.  It's very much a family dining room/ office for her, since they have no breakfast nook.  Love the gilt chandelier, and blue trim on windows.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.22.18 PM.png

Close-up of this magnificent paper.  Also note the handsome crown molding.  But again, the video gives you so much more!

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 12.34.28 PM.png

This little sunroom is right off the living room.  There's a comfy couch just visible bottom left, where she hangs out. Beautiful Farrow and Ball blue walls and antique chinoiserie cabinet...  Again, she started with the curtain fabric, a rich botanical...

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.33.55 PM.png

The fabric on those pillows is so striking, up close!   Highly recommend watching the video by Homeworthy, since you can otherwise miss some of these beguiling details in the house...

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.54.50 AM.png

The kitchen is small, but very cute.  She added a tiny island, and went with marble counters which she's allowing to weather naturally.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.37.14 PM.png

Little details like the antique clock and charming window shade-- love.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.37.55 PM.png

My favorite part of the kitchen is the 1938 window!  Something about that diamond shape in central part is so "pre-war" to me, love.  And the sides are still able to open to the fresh air... 

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.39.27 PM.png

Her husband loved everything she did, but was at first taken aback by the limited canopy, or "corona" over the bed in the master!  But her English design sensibilities won out, and she says he likes it now.  I think the fact that she kept it small, and very tailored, is key. 

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.18.13 PM.png

Her little boy Collier's room is charming, with its striped wall paper and India-themed curtains.  She and her husband point out the Indian palaces, tigers and birds to her son every night, which he loves...

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.44.23 AM.png

She said the best rug in the house is here in Collier's room, and it is a beauty.  I like all her other vintage rugs too.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 12.18.29 PM.png

Whimsical faux tiger pillows enliven the guest room, and repeat the curtain color.  Three windows in a room like this is such an asset.

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 7.19.53 PM.png

I adore her taste in lamps and fabrics.  This lamp is from Bunny Williams, she said.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.47.54 AM.png

Another of her oil painting collection, a 1918 seascape, in the guest room.   I love the way she stops and explains these treasures. 

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.50.26 AM.png

Some dreamy landscapes from her living room...

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.37.13 AM.png

I didn't notice in the first picture of the house, the vigilant little stone dogs in the front-- maybe you can see them better in this shot, so cute. Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 11.41.22 AM.png

Nina Long has had a lot of success at what seems to be a fairly early age.  I think it's because she has truly timeless taste.  It's refreshing to see someone young, who is traditional, without being swept into the excesses of frou-frou 'grandmillenial'-ism.

Respected Contributor

Re: ATLANTA DESIGNER'S OWN HOME

Thank you, I am not familiar with her, and this was a really nice look. 

Honored Contributor

I love all the art work which for me is always a highlight in a room.  I also like he drapes and prints she chose, the sheer curtains, chandeliers.  While I can appreciate her sense of design and choices, there are some changes I would make which has to do with individual taste.The  photo of Jagger, Faithful and Guinness is a nice touch,  I also like the decor around the picture. The mural in the dining room is stunning, and the small white couch is lovely!  The bedrooms do not stand out in my opinion ,   I always enjoy seeing how people decorate their homes , this one had charm and appeal.

Valued Contributor

Books stacked under the coffee table?  Didn't know that was considered "design".   I'll have to try that.

Regular Contributor

@D Kay--IF IT LOOK'S GOOD, DO IT!

Trusted Contributor

@D Kay I've tried the stacked books and/or magazines in the family room, on a raised base end table.....the cats tear thru that shelf as if it were a raceway. I pick them up and restack them at least twice a day. 

Love the look of that house decor!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

What an exceptional designer Nina Long is!  I loved the 3 intro pictures (especially the blue kitchen) as well as all the beautiful work she has done in her house.

I love all of her colors and prints.  It's unusual for someone her age to collect paintings!

Honored Contributor

My pleasure, @Bhvbum ,  I find her rooms both pleasing, and calming to look at.

Oh, good observations, @D Kay  @STYLE  @We rescue cats -- whether it's 'designer' or not, I do stack magazines (neatly, sort of) and sometimes books, under the coffee table.  I have a large wicker tray under there, so I can corral them pretty well.  I like the 'lived-in' look, within reason...

@spiderw  and @ECBG ,  her interest in those beautiful vintage paintings does speak well of her taste.

Hope you are recovering well, @ECBG ,  from the ankle!

Respected Contributor

Enjoyable tour. I am lusting for the oyster plates. I had a couple of  sets of Minton majolica oyster plates that I did use for dinner parties. There was a well in the center to hold the sauce and they were the most beautiful colors. They were given to me from my mother-in-law. One of her granddaughters always admired and studied the plates. When she died I asked her if she would like to have her grandmothers oyster plates and she was thrilled so I parted with them.

Honored Contributor

What a sweet family member you were, to cheerfully pass on those enviable majolica oyster plates, @tiny 2 ,  giving them to someone else for whom they were a treasure!