Honored Contributor

Re: ARE YOU A COAT HOOK HOUSE OR A COAT CLOSET HOUSE?

[ Edited ]

We come and go through our attached garage, which comes into our kitchen area. In the garage, we have a hanging shoe rack where shoes are kept up off the floor, and a space underneath for boots. 

Coats come into the house and get hung in the coat closet by the front door.

I have never liked the coat hook thing, unless it is in a remote back area of the house, where people come in and out like a garage or laundry room or mud room, and even then it bothers me. 

Respected Contributor

Basically, Florida doesn't do coat closets. I thought it was strange when we were first down here looking at houses, but very few have them. Back north we had coat hooks at the back door where we mostly entered, and a coat rack ("Bullwinkle") for the front.

Honored Contributor

closets......

i dont care for exposed hooks with coats and other stuff hanging all over them in the house. shoes are usually taken off at the door and then taken into the bedroom. some are left outside by the front door or the inside garage door.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

Basically, Florida doesn't do coat closets. I thought it was strange when we were first down here looking at houses, but very few have them. Back north we had coat hooks at the back door where we mostly entered, and a coat rack ("Bullwinkle") for the front.

The only coat closet I've ever seen was the one in the classroom at school.  Not too popular in Florida. 

Frequent Contributor

We use our front hall closet for our coats and shoes.... 

Honored Contributor

Closet.

Trusted Contributor

We use both, our better coats in entry closet, laundry room hooks for outside work coats and Hoodies. 

Large basket for hats, gloves, winter scarves.

Do not wear shoes in house, throw rug near all doors for shoes and boots.

Honored Contributor

coat closet

Respected Contributor

We have a mud/laundry room. It has hooks which we use. A closet also. I think we have too much stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

Depends on the house. My previous houses had a place to put hooks, which is my preference. The back door in my present house opens directly into the family room; no place for coat hooks, so I use the closet by the front door.