Esteemed Contributor

ARE YOU A COAT HOOK HOUSE OR A COAT CLOSET HOUSE?

I have noticed many homes have hooks lined up by the back door for jackets, coats, etc.  It doesn't bother me when I see it, but I have never done this.  We keep our coats in a closet where they can't be seen.

And what about shoes?  Do you keep them out in the open by the door or are they put in a spot where they can't be seen.  Again, we keep ours in the closet except I do keep flip flops outside every door to slip into.

What made me think of this was during the shoe show today, Jen said, "you can keep these by the door to slip into". 

What do you do at your house........closet or out in the open??

Hey, we can't talk politics LOL !!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ARE YOU A COAT HOOK HOUSE OR A COAT CLOSET HOUSE?

Closet for us, well ME anyway, DH leaves both his coat and shoes wherever, but there I am like a robot, picking them up and putting them away, LOL!

Honored Contributor

Both!  I've got so many coats and jackets, when the closet is full (thanks QVC),  I start on the hooks. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Coats in the hallway closet.  Doesn't make sense to me to walk in my front door, walk to end of the house to hang my coat up on a hook.  Hallway closet is next to the front door.

As for shoes, I keep them in my bedroom closet depending on the seasons.  Otherwise, they sit under my floor mirror.  I haven't worn flip flops since I was 12 yrs old.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Mine is an old house, so closet space is at a premium. Coats and jackets in season go on hooks, out of season , in the closet. I keep a pair of outdoor shoes on the back porch, along with a pair of snow boots. In my next life I will have a place for everything.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Closet, but mainly because my coats don't get a lot of use (except this year my raincoat got a lot of use with all the rain in California).

My shoes are in the closet except for a pair of sandals I keep by the patio door.

Respected Contributor

Both.

* Closet in entry hall by front door,

* Built-in cubbies and hooks by back door near garage. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have four vertically stacked double hooks in the laundry/mud room. by the back door.  Only in the winter, there is a boot tray in laundry room.  There is a coat closet by the front door.

Respected Contributor

Our home is laid out differently than previous homes I've lived in. It has no closet in the entryway by the front door. There is a small closet by the door that goes into the garage, off the back hallway, and I guess this is where coats are supposed to go. So, if we come in through the front door, we have to take our coats (and shoes/boots) through the living room and around the corner to that back closet. Not the most convenient setup but I'd rather not have hooks mounted by the front door because the entrance is small.

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs Well......we have a coat closet, but my dh prefers to walk past the coat closet (which is inside the front door) and toss his coat over a dining room chair. I've given this battle up.

Thank Goodness Its Friday

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein