Honored Contributor

ANTIQUE DEALER'S APARTMENT OVER THE STORE

The Cote de Texas blogger has a knack of finding interesting homes of all kinds.  This home owner has her antique shop on the first floor of a very contemporary building.  She had a concern that her antiques might not work in the new setting, but managed to configure things to her liking.

The largely neutral color scheme comes partly from the lovely limestone floors-- the homeowner wanted to duplicate that color for most of her walls.  Other walls and accents are in a pale aqua, almost "water" color, which doesn't show up very vividly in photos:

The entry:

image_thumb20.png

Light-filled living room:

image_thumb91.png

image[2].png

This dealer has some wonderful pieces.  This "bookcase" was originally for documents of some kind, therefore the closer together shelves:

image_thumb[7].png

Part of her artfully arranged gallery wall:

image_thumb[6].png

Dining area:

image_thumb[37].png

image4.png

I could never have all open shelves in my kitchen, let alone GLASS open shelves, ha.  But she's given the room a sort of European flair.  (And she probably has a housekeeper, I'm betting.)

image_thumb161.png

image42.png

image_thumb[20].png

Guest room with wood barrel ceiling.

image_thumb[28].png

The pretty master bedroom is a long room, one end of which she has made into a kind of library:

image_thumb[17].png

image_thumb[12].png

As usual, I'd like a bit more color.  Designers and dealers always seem to want more neutrals in the homes they devise for themselves, interestingly.  Avoiding the color over-stimulation they experience in their work, maybe?

But I still find it serene and charming.  I love:  all her great antique pieces, the chandeliers, the plants, the touches she does have of blue or green, the feeling you have of floating in air and merging with the outdoors.  And, she has no commute to get to work, just walks downstairs.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANTIQUE DEALER'S APARTMENT OVER THE STORE

@Oznell 

Thank you!

This is lovely, very restful to the eye.  As you mentioned, I would have to weave in more color, but could nest there happily.  Always had yen to live over the store, first fell in love with the idea in New Orleans what way for the building to ‘Wash it’s own face’

The baggy drapes on the lower kitchen cabinets would have to GO quickly!😲

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Oznell One of the  reasons some designers use neutrals in their personal space is due to having to deal with color all day long and wanting a certain amount of serenity at home.

Honored Contributor

And that makes a lot of sense, @Somertime.  They probably more than satisfy their needs for "color excitement" and variety through their work, I imagine...

Respected Contributor

This place is charming. It is lovely. The sink area had me looking twice but it is interesting and so different. Style all around.

Esteemed Contributor

First of all @Oznell  I just love how you explain your posts. All so insightful and written beautifully. 

This apartment is stunning. I love it all. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

She certainly has a flair.

it looks artfully done from all angles

Thanks for sharing!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I would yearn for more color, but this would be a great rental house for about a month. 

Honored Contributor

Those are kind words, @godi -- thanks!

Honored Contributor

The furnishings, the art work, the decor are all lovely and appealing to me as I love antiques.  However, I too would like more color as the neutral look in some of the pictures lack warmth and coziness.  My taste is more toward having antiques in an Victorian style home, this apartment while spacious and roomy isn't appealing to me.