Honored Contributor

ANOTHER SPRINGY SITTING ROOM; DIFFERENT PALETTE

Here's a living room in Lake Forest, Illinois, in a palette a little different than the pretty, red-sparked Cindy Hattersley one;  this one is more my color palette.  Pink and green CAN read a bit preppy,  it's true, but I don't really mind.  Chocolate and mocha make a super addition. The only color absent, that is one of my constants, is blue!

The designer is Ruthie Sommers, who is known for her romantic and traditional interiors.

Love the white-painted brick walls, the segmented twin mirrors, the ceiling, the graceful mocha cotton velvet sofa.

54c1445f982c8_-_01-hbx-mocha-cotton-velvet-sofa-sommers-0314-s2.jpg

Now here's a brown that I think is stunning in the entry.  It is Benjamin Moore "Mink".   Sommers had it stenciled with trees and squirrels native to Illinois.  I love the way she carried the unexpected brown color into the living room with that aforementioned sofa.  The bench in brown-and- white ticking here is a nice touch.

54c14460486b2_-_03-hbx-entry-mural-sommers-0314-s2.jpg

This was described as a 'passage way' room.  Blue on the ceiling is one of my favorites...

54c14461965c2_-_07-hbx-italian-marble-top-console-sommers-0314-s2.jpg

And she's not neglecting sumptuous blue, since it makes an appearance in the family room as well!

54c1446144145_-_06-hbx-versailles-blue-velvet-chair-sommers-0314-s2.jpg 

This whole house seems so cozy and cheerful to me.  It's verging on too many objects, perhaps, for my own quirky comfort level (you see that more in the dining room and bedrooms, which I didn't post-  quite froo-froo!).  But kudos to Sommers for exuding comfort and charm in her rooms.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER SPRINGY SITTING ROOM; DIFFERENT PALETTE

Quite certain my DH would not like it. I'd pass on it too.

Contributor

Love the living room!

Esteemed Contributor

The rooms are lovely to look at but totally impractical for a family to actually live in.  I can't imagine a couple of toddlers, a stay at home mom, or my grands visiting etc.  Our homes change as our lives change but something this perfect would never work for me and grands and kids.

Respected Contributor

The lovely bench in the second photo is pure perfection in that curvy spot, and it softens the impact of the stenciled brown wall (which comes on very strong).   In the living room, the ceiling adds great warmth and dimension; the sofa, though, could do with fewer pillows -- one long, sage-green bolster would have sufficed for me.  And in the family room, I really like the carry-over of the wallpaper into the beautifully framed-out shelving -- it's such a classy touch.

Honored Contributor

I find everything so warm and appealing. I love the color selections, the furniture, the warmth and decor.  It looks like a comfortable home with appealing design and style.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Quite interesting.  You always have welcome "eye candy"!!!

In the LR, I would take the wall lamps down.  To much with that style of mirror.  

I would also take out the brass side table beside the print side chair and put something more solid.  The two cream sitting cubes interfere with walking.

Honored Contributor

These rooms are not for me..but as they say "that's why they make chocolate and vanilla"Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

That's so interesting, @mspatmac --  I personally don't see it as 'perfect' or unwelcoming for family living.   And they are lucky enough to have both a sitting/living room and a more laid back family room (which I don't have the luxury of).  But we have rambunctious elements in our house, and I believe we'd be quite comfortable even in the first sitting room.  With the caveat that we'd all have to fling at least two thirds of those pillows on the floor!

I hadn't noticed that wallpaper being carried over into the alcove, @vsm --  I love that too.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

I love that living room! It reminds me of a cottage in the Cotswolds. 💐