Honored Contributor

Re: AN ECONOMICAL KITCHEN REFRESH

What a wonderful project!  The kitchen is beautiful!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would have loved to see what $500 could have accomplished because $250 provided a nice refreshing look. If she had asked for my advice, I might have said to put less on the counters. They look a bit cluttered.

Honored Contributor

There are tons of detailed "how-tos" online for anyone contemplating painting your own cabinets, but "Bored or Bananas" in her video of this refresh gives a good general rundown of what they did, including products they used.  If interested, just google:

$250 Budget Kitchen Makeover Bored or Bananas

Trusted Contributor

It's the high cost of labor, not the cost of materials, that makes remodeling so expensive. If you have the skills to tackle everything yourself, then you have a win-win. This redone kitchen is so charming, and I'm a cottage style gal. I've had estimates for doing similar updating to the OP, and the cost is out of sight these days. 

Respected Contributor

I like the white cabinets, but there's too much clutter. 

Honored Contributor

They did a nice job of working with what they had, and I don't find the kitchen cluttered, though I do understand those who want a more streamlined look.

Were it me, I might have replaced the cabinet handles and drawer pulls rather than painting the old ones. While I like the old ones, new ones needn't have been too costly and would have really helped give the cabinets and drawers a whole new look.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Nice remodel for not a lot of money. 👍

I wouldn't want to dust and clean all that stuff sitting on top of the cabinets. So glad my cabinets go all the way up.