Honored Contributor

I am on the hunt, and have never had one before, but think I need one, so any recommendations will be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Dyson or Rabbit Air - I have in my home.

Honored Contributor

My suggestion is that in shopping for your air purifier, shop for the filters first!   

Filters can be very expensive, and some can be hard to find.   Washable filters are the best option.  

Air purifiers can become a huge money pit between the price of the unit, and the type of filter it uses.   Success is tied to the efficiency of the unit and the filter, but even if I’m willing to pay $200+ for the air purifier, I don’t want to pay another $100+ for the filter every 30-60 days.  I would lean towards buying a $300 purifier with a washable filter, to save on those replacement part expenses.   

Valued Contributor

Check with Consumer Reports because many of them do not do what they claim to do. But you will have to become a member. I love them because they test and test and give us the true lowdown.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My suggestion is that in shopping for your air purifier, shop for the filters first!   

Filters can be very expensive, and some can be hard to find.   Washable filters are the best option.  

Air purifiers can become a huge money pit between the price of the unit, and the type of filter it uses.   Success is tied to the efficiency of the unit and the filter, but even if I’m willing to pay $200+ for the air purifier, I don’t want to pay another $100+ for the filter every 30-60 days.  I would lean towards buying a $300 purifier with a washable filter, to save on those replacement part expenses.   

@RedTop   Yes, I bought a purifier yesterday with washable filters, here's hoping it does what it says.  I have over thirty days to try it.

Respected Contributor

I've had a Bionaire BAP756-U True HEPA filter for years now. It uses 3 HEPA filters and 3 carbon pre-filters I have an auto-delivery from Amazon.

The HEPA filters need to be replaced every 6 months and replacing the HEPA filters runs about $90 a year. The carbon pre-filters get replaced every 3 months and replacing the carbon filters every 3 months costs about $30 a year. 

More importantly, the air filter is an upgrade from a unit I had that broke after 10 years and the filters are the same. That means the internal HEPA and carbon filters have been available for at least 14 years. That matters to me because I've had other air filters that have gotten discontinued and the filters were also discontinued, making the entire air filter useless and in need of replacement. Bioneaire and Holmes have worked to keep my filters on the market, which I truly appreciate.

Honored Contributor

Truth is the cheaper air purifiers are not that good,  if your going to buy one ,i recommended, alen.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I have several air purifiers in my home.   In my kitchen/diningroom area I have a large Kenmore brand.   I've had it for almost 20 years  and it still works perfectly.   I'm a fanatic about unpleasant odors in the house so I run it when I've cooked something with a strong odor such as salmon or bacon.   If we build a fire in our fireplace insert I also like to turn it on.  It really helps prevent that smoky odor that sometimes comes with a fireplace.  

I have a smaller Honeywell Tower purifier in the family room where I keep my guinea pigs.   It really keeps any animal odors away and I think it helps my pigs too.

I also have the same small Honeywell in our bedroom.   We don't run that one too often.  DH will turn it on occasionally when he feels the room needs a little freshening.   

I would not be without an air purifier because I think they just make your home feel cleaner and more pleasant. 

Just don't skimp and buy a cheaper model.    If you can spend a little more money you will be happier with the outcome.