Respected Contributor

ADVICE FOR CENTRAL AIR PURCHASE

We have 3 central air units, one isn't working right for the third time.  All the units are original to the house, 18 years old (we just moved in last year).  I would like to replace just the one that isn't working as well but my husband wants to do everything...3 new units plus replace furnace(also original to house).  We've also had issues with the AC unit on another floor (bedrooms floor) but not as much as this one on the main floor.  If anyone has recently gone thru this and can provide any tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated. 

P.S.  We do have a local service that comes to our house for maintenance/repairs, etc.  The guy who comes to my house is actually the same guy who serviced this house with the other owners.  They have good ratings on google and our neighborhood website but should I still get 3 quotes?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ADVICE FOR CENTRAL AIR PURCHASE

I had a great experience dealing with the HVAC company Costco had in the kiosk at their store. I don't know if you're a member- but I switched to the executive membership for the remainder of the year so i could get the rebate. Plus I used my costco credit card and got a good rebate there! At the time I also got a costco cash card = to 10% of the total purchase. Before all those perks, the base price was comparable to other quotes I received. Win win every way-  Costco stood behind the company, plus they had terrific reviews on line.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely get at last 3 quotes and just make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  DH and I needed new ac a couple years ago.  We had 3 different companies come out.  The cheapest was going to install a bottom of the line ac unit.  We went with the one that was the most expensive but he wasn't that much more, the unit was the top of the line and they offered a much better warranty.  

Respected Contributor

You probably should bite the bullet and replace everything.  Keep in mind that unit efficiency has improved greatly in the last 18 years, so not only will you save money on electric, but you may be able to weasel a discount from the HVAC company that does it for you.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I don't bother to get multiple quotes.   I'm in a small town and stick with the businesses we've dealt with for years.  

We've been with our heating cooling company for about 20 years; bought one outside unit, and one complete system, they come out for a yearly service inspection and generator checkup, and we used their paving business to do our big driveway.   They appreciate our business, and give us discounts on services.   I feel I get exactly what I'm paying for with this company.

Valued Contributor

We did this last year when we converted from oil to gas.  We replaced our furnace -- a/c -- water heater.  I would suggest getting 3 quotes.  I would also suggest doing your own research on the equipment itself.  We narrowed it down to three companies and went with a Lennox system.  We could not be happier now that we have gone through both summers and winters.  

In terms of the installation/maintenance companies we had the advantage of our whole neighborhood doing the conversion so we discussed which companies people were going to use -- etc.   It seemed like an overwhelming project -- especially with the gas conversion -- but it all ran like clockwork.  You will be very surprised at how well your new system works.  We didn't realize how inefficient our old system was until we did the update.

Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

We have 3 central air units, one isn't working right for the third time.  All the units are original to the house, 18 years old (we just moved in last year).  I would like to replace just the one that isn't working as well but my husband wants to do everything...3 new units plus replace furnace(also original to house).  We've also had issues with the AC unit on another floor (bedrooms floor) but not as much as this one on the main floor.  If anyone has recently gone thru this and can provide any tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated. 

P.S.  We do have a local service that comes to our house for maintenance/repairs, etc.  The guy who comes to my house is actually the same guy who serviced this house with the other owners.  They have good ratings on google and our neighborhood website but should I still get 3 quotes?

To answer your question, YES

In writing, in detail

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I had a great experience dealing with the HVAC company Costco had in the kiosk at their store. I don't know if you're a member- but I switched to the executive membership for the remainder of the year so i could get the rebate. Plus I used my costco credit card and got a good rebate there! At the time I also got a costco cash card = to 10% of the total purchase. Before all those perks, the base price was comparable to other quotes I received. Win win every way-  Costco stood behind the company, plus they had terrific reviews on line.

I also replaced my central AC thru Costco back in 2011 & Costco threw in a 10 year warranty on top of it.  I didn't realize that Costco had done it, I just thought it was from Lennox or the local AC installer.  The local contractor had never heard of that before & they didn't get a copy of the warranty, so when a chiller coil failed & leaked coolant up in my attic a couple of yeasr ago & I told them I had a warranty, I had to give them copies of the warranty so they could submit to Lennox  to pay them for the repair & put it in my files for any future issues.  I've been more than pleased with every Costco contractor I've dealt with.

One thing the guys that originally installed the new AC told me was that for the AC to work like it's supposed to, all the components need to be balanced to each other & ideally all the same brand.  I had had so many problems with the old AC, which was original to the house from 2003 (I'm the 2nd owner of the house) & when they started tearing it out to put the new one in, they discovered I had an Amana compressor outside & a Carrier chiller coil tied to an Amana fan & furnace in the attic & they said it was no wonder it didn't work right & kept breaking down.

Valued Contributor

We converted last year also from oil to gas when it was offered in our development. We are very pleased with our new a/c and furnace. What a difference in our home. Our temperature is steady all the time and although expensive to replace it all it was well worth it. Do you live in PA Judy?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@embgm  We live in CT.  

@aubnwa01  I just checked and our Lennox a/c system has a 10 year warranty directly from Lennox.