Honored Contributor

ABC Action News reported - KANE'S FURNITURE (For those in FL area)

Just wanted to share on our local ABC Action news it was found this furniture chain store has been selling leather furniture stating it was "full leather" misleading the customer into purchasing these pieces which are extremely expensive because of the leather.

After many consumer complaints to both KANE'S, BBB and more an investigation has found this pieces are NOT leather but a component or bonded/faux leather.

There is a class action suit filed yesterday in Pinellas county (For those in this area I'm sure you could log onto ABC Action News Tampa Bay). Although, Kane's rep said they will be refunding $$$ to customers or replacing their furniture for the defects.

Sharing because I know friends who bought from them and they indicated it was leather. After a few months it started to peel, discolor on the arms, headrest areas. Hopefully, if you have this problem you can contact them to rectify it!

Super Contributor

Re: ABC Action News reported - KANE'S FURNITURE (For those in FL area)

I bought a couch from them here in Florida about 15 years ago. It was covered in a textured fabric. The arm of the couch broke(!) within the first 3 days we had it. My husband leaned on the arm to bend over the side of it to kiss me and it snapped inside, making a cracking sound. Weird! I called them and had them come back and get it and refund me.

My friend purchased a hutch for her dining room about 6 months later and the doors on the bottom portion wouldn't close. It was misaligned. She called and had them come get hers, too. I wish she had learned from my experience.

Based on my personal experience with Kanes, they sell very poor quality goods. This new report about them selling faux leather as real doesn't surprise me at all.

Don't get your hopes up.  They're offering me a $300 store credit on a $799 loveseat that started peeling at ~2 years old.  They are neither refunding or replacing, at least not in my area (SW Fla).  Will see what the BBB does.

Honored Contributor

I think Q is pretty good at noting when something is faux - whether it be fur, leather, etc.

New Contributor

Do u have any info on this lawsuit
New Contributor

They offered me 300 as well. When i left a negative review they recinded. They told me it was italian leather.
Honored Contributor

What is "Italian leather?"

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr

I posted this quite awhile ago. I know my family member paid over $2,000 for a "leather" sofa/love seat and they only live her 3 months (snowbirds).

The leather is all cracked and peeling less than 2 years old. I don't know what the outcome was but it was Jackie Callaway, ABC Action News channel 8 (Tampa) you could contact them.

Good luck

Honored Contributor

I don't have furniture from Kane's, they're in FL and I'm in PA.  I was just wondering about Italian leather.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr  I just Googled it, and this is what I found.  I assume it's leather from Italy.

One of the reasons Italian leather is so highly regarded is because of it's quality. The very best craftsmanship and care goes into manufacturing Italian leather stock than is put into almost any comparable leather product in the world and that means only the best quality hides are used.Jun 2, 2015

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau