Honored Contributor

AARP closet organizing trick

This was a true light bulb moment for me.  I get AARP online and a week ago they had an article on paring down  I ignored that part, they suggested getting rid of the red buffalo plaid shirt they used as an example.  But I did take away one excellent hint:

ARRANGE CLOTHES BY COLORS

This may seem a no brainer to you.  But I will spend 10 minutes running down the rack looking for a specific black shirt.  A certain print may take two run throughs.  Now I only have to search through a few with most colors.  Some, like turquoise, I've gone way overboard on, but I'm not getting rid of any yet.

Honored Contributor

Re: AARP closet organizing trick

I do have my closet arranged by color BUT what do you do with that red and black buffalo check shirt?? Does it go with the red stuff or the black stuff? I have an entire section of 'multi' for that and it's messed up.

Esteemed Contributor

All the "mixed" ones go together too!  Never that many!

Respected Contributor

I've been arranging by color for years. Much more appealing to the eye. 

As for the red/black top - I'd put it at the end of my reds.

Respected Contributor

Definitely, that is how my closet is organized. By color and by seasons. Long sleeve items to be worn in the winter are separated from the short sleeve summer clothes. When I worked I actually had entire outfits organized this way. Once I wore them I placed them in another closet so I would not wear the same thing twice before everything else had been worn. 

Honored Contributor

Yes we organize out closets by color. I just can't seem to be satisfied with the function of my walk-in closet. I'm always, at least once a week, trying to tweak what I did the previous week. It's never ending for me! 

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

I've arranged my closet by colors for years.  I have 3 walk-in closets.  I have way too many clothes.  I ran across an article about getting rid of clothing.  You hang your hangers in the opposite direction. If you wear an item hang it back up in the normal position.  At the end of a season any clothing that it still hanging in the opposite direction is something you haven't worn all season.  Time to get rid of it.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the excellent suggestions.

We have an older, two story colonial home.  So no walk-in closets.  Now that we are retired and kiddos very long gone, we each have two good sized closets for our use.

We have way too much and are actively donating.  I have tried to separate my pants into black and navy areas.  Dark navy can be selected for black when in a hurry or at night.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the excellent suggestions.

We have an older, two story colonial home.  So no walk-in closets.  Now that we are retired and kiddos very long gone, we each have two good sized closets for our use.

We have way too much and are actively donating.  I have tried to separate my basics into distinct black and navy areas.  Dark navy can be selected for black when in a hurry or at night.

Honored Contributor

@depglass I started doing this decades ago.