Honored Contributor

A tale of (several) vacuums.

My first and still all-time favorite was my old Sears/Kenmore canister.  It cleaned well, it wasn't too heavy, it maneuvered well, and the head portion stood upright by itself if you wanted it to.  I finally had to replace it after, gosh, 30+ years of use.

I chose a Miele canister to replace it but reallzed too late how annoying it is that its power head portion doesn't stand up on its own.  Cleaning is great, maneuverability not as good as the Kenmore's.

Later I bought a Dyson cordless which I do like.  Great suction, but 20 minutes runtime sometimes isn't enough.  And with only 20 minutes, the dirt holder seems too small anyway.

So most recently a QVC presentation convinced me the Shark Duo-Clean was the one to have.  It's a little heavier to maneuver than promised, but fine for what it is.

I think I could have saved myself a lot of trial and error by just getting another Kenmore canister.

Who's got a favorite vacuum?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: A tale of (several) vacuums.

Kenmore hands down used to be the best. No longer the same quality.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a Miele canister fan. I like that it is quiet and it gets the cat hair like nothing I have tried. I also like the Shark handheld for quick pick ups. I love that thing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

homegirl i remember my mom had a kenmore canister vacuum to. a lot of atachments and the awesome power head. she had it for a long time. it picked up awesome and we had a dog and a few cats.

Honored Contributor

I have a dyson canister and both myself and the housekeeper really like it a lot. We have our carpet steam cleaned once a year and it hardly needs it. It is just something I feel needs to be done. Our carpet is a very light beige , almost ecru color.

Honored Contributor

I love my 3 year old Shark (can't remember the  name, but the cannister pulls off and you can put it on a wheely thing, all attachments are on board and no bags!!)  The suction is great (I have a hairy dog), the cannister area is large and cleaning the washable fllters is easy!!  I've had all kinds of vacuums (inluding a KIRBY -just say "no"- and an animal Dyson (mine broke right out of warranty, over $500 new and I paid over $170 to fix and a year almost to the day it broke (same problem) again!! Absolutely no help from Dyson!

I have been thrilled with shark!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I inherited my mom's old rainbow, and even though she bought it back in the 70's, it still cleans very well. I just can't handle the weight and the darn thing is cumbersome, so I use a Shark. For it's size and price it's a good cleaner.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love my Miele canister!  I have one that is over 25 years old, and I ruined the floor tool by doing something stupid.  Since it was that old I decided to buy a new vacuum instead of replacing the floor tool.  The old one still runs perfectly though.  

My housekeeper said Miele is the best vacuum she's ever used.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

OMG!  For years I always had the same Sears/Kenmore canister.

My late husband would never, never vacuum (that was his excuse...he hated the pull along vacuum).  Since I did the vacuuming (and his phrase in life was "Happy Wife...Happy Life", I got what I wanted.

Then move forward to right before he died....I could no longer vacuum due to my back pain.  I wouldn't let him hire a housekeeper (I didn't work and didn't want anyone else in my house).

Well, short of living in filth he finally went out and bought a Dyson (the first one offered)  The huge, heavy Dyson purple animal.

That puppy will suck up anything and everything but good grief is it heavy!  Then after he died I bought another Dyson upright.  

Pay attention here now...keep track of this cleaning items...Ha!  So, then I went out and bought the Dyson stick (no wires)...then I didn't think it was powerful so I bought the most powerful stick you can buy (cost a chunk but I figured it was worth it)..

Now mind you I also have two of those Rumba thingys.  OK, so my point is I STILL miss that sill Sears canister vacuum but if I'm honest I think I miss the way I was young and could pull the thing alone without any trouble.

I'm wih you though because I had that thing for at least 30 years and it never died, I cried when we gave it to a neighbor.  She did say I could visit it when I wanted to....I haven't had the heart to visit it though...I think it's still going.....

Honored Contributor

I really like my Hoover Wind Tunnel Max. It really has been quite  work horse, I vacuum just about everyday. I have a collie and try to keep up with all the dog hair. And I must admit this vacuum has been able to keep up and get all the dog hair and dirt that is tracked in the carpets and floors.

I had an Animal Canister Dyson and was so disappointed. It was heavy and dragging it around, it caught on doorways and walls, you name it. I wish I had saved my money because it now just takes up space.

I am not sure how many years I have been using my Hoover but I am sticking with it. And someday I am going to get the urge to dump my Dyson.