Occasional Contributor

A suggestion for drowning wicks, weak scents, and leftover candle wax

Hi, everybody

I just started reading this board recently and noticed a lot of posts about drowning wicks making it impossible to finish a candle or scents that are enjoyable but barely detectable from various brands. Just wanted to offer a simple solution for these issues -- turn them into tarts. You can carve out some of the wax and place it in a tart warmer just like you would a prepackaged tart. Works great and is also good for candles that run out of wick before they run out of scent. I use a knife for harder wax and a melon baller for softer waxes, like soy. Both work fine and only take a minute. The throw is *excellent* with this method because you can control the size of the wax pool depending on how much you add. Even candles that previously had no smell unless I was on top of them are useable and usually fill a room when I scoop them out. In fact, you may need to use less than you suspect, even for weaker scents. Something about it all melting down at once really amplifies the scent. I've done this with so many Yankee Candles. It's cheaper than buying tarts, too. Sometimes I'll buy a huge housewarmer when they're on sale, and I get the equivalent of a hundred tarts or more out of it. The downside is that you don't get to enjoy the pretty jar and label on some of the nicer candles when you do it this way, but at least it will save you from having wasted money on a dud.

If this is a silly and obvious post because it has been mentioned often efore, I apologize -- I haven't read a lot of the threads here yet. Smiley Happy Just thought it might help to use up some stuff for those who haven't tried it!