Honored Contributor

Re: A (semi) panicked update on kitchen renovation

Do yourself a huge favor and make sure that the entire job has been moved up.  Years ago, I was in a similar situation.  The truth was, the contractor found himself with a couple of free days - did my demo and then I didn't see him again for two weeks when he was actually ready to do the work.  And when you're certain of his timetable, do yourself a HUGER favor and rent a hotel room for a couple of days - getting a good night's sleep, with air conditioning, will make a huge difference.  We're planning to have both of our second floor bathrooms done at the same time and I'm factoring a handful of hotel days into the cost.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Do yourself a huge favor and make sure that the entire job has been moved up.  Years ago, I was in a similar situation.  The truth was, the contractor found himself with a couple of free days - did my demo and then I didn't see him again for two weeks when he was actually ready to do the work.  And when you're certain of his timetable, do yourself a HUGER favor and rent a hotel room for a couple of days - getting a good night's sleep, with air conditioning, will make a huge difference.  We're planning to have both of our second floor bathrooms done at the same time and I'm factoring a handful of hotel days into the cost.

I'm understanding the days away would be wonderful for some, but that just would add too much stress for me. 

I'm not a fan of hotels, I like being home, even in the mess it is right now. 

I have three pets I can't leave and can't afford to board (nor would I want to, they are experiencing some anxiety already with all the upheaval in everything being moved and stacked up). 

I also have my mom next door, and she is just two weeks out of cardiac intensive care, and a host of appointments to be taken to during this remodel as well. So being too far from her right now would only be added stress too,

Add to it, we have a landscaper coming to do some work during this same time frame, a roof replacement that may or may not coincide with the kitchen work, and still enough rain that I have to mow twice a week (five hard acres) and it just is easier to live in the turmoil until it is over!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I understand.  I remember how complicated life was when we were caring for my mom and dad.  I'm hoping everything goes smoothly for you and that you are thrilled with the results - that will be worth all the stress.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had my roof done last year, and i live on the top floor. It was npisy, but nothing fell, no dust. It was fine.It was hot as Hades too.  Stay calm. It'll be over soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Boston Market for "home cooked" when you are tired of grill & microwave.

Honored Contributor

I'm stressing along with you. Think how nice it will be when the remodel is done.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I've been through a few big kitchen remodels.  Just remember the motto "Temporary inconvenience, permanent improvement."  You will get through it.  Choose the things you like and don't second guess yourself.  If possible, eat most of your meals out or call for delivery.  That helps big time.

When the remodel is finished you can sit back and say.  Aah, I love this.  It's all I wanted and more.   

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Boston Market for "home cooked" when you are tired of grill & microwave.

@Mary Bailey 

No Boston Market here! I've always wanted to try them, but as far as I know the nearest one would be over 50 miles away! Boo Hoo!

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness that heat wave is over.  If it does get crazy like that again (and I sure hope it doesn't), I cannot imagine they would have anyone up on a roof doing a job.  That would be dangerous.  

I hope everything is moving along for you.  I cannot even imagine.  We did our kitchen little by little because I couldn't stand having it ripped apart and having no kitchen access at all.  I would have to move out.  LOL