Respected Contributor

Re: A few new cuties for fall

@tends2dogs, that's the first time Calvin has ever been sick in the eleven years we've had him. I was very concerned! At the vet's on that Saturday morning, he was diagnosed with pancreatitis but he was still pretty perky overall. So the vet let us take him home. She gave him meds and sub-Q fluids, and gave us a bag of fluids to take with us, also, along with medication. Calvin was none too good on Sunday, but turned around that evening. We then took him to our regular vet that following Tuesday. He did some more tests, but all looked good. Calvin is now 95% back to normal, but I'm still a little concerned about that other 5%. He's on a low fat diet and will be forever, I guess. If you have any words of wisdom from your sister, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

pup     

Respected Contributor

Oh, one more thing, @tends2dogs. Those plaid plates I posted earlier were the salad plates. The ones below are the dinner plates. Cute.

Homestead Harvest Plaid Dinner Plate Set

And I just gotta show you and all the other dog lovers here the cutest thing I saw on zulily. I love it!!! Makes me smile every time I look at it. I am soooo tempted. If I had Boston Terriers, or lived in Salt Lake City, I know I would have to get this cutie!!! Ha! 

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@tends2dogs, that's the first time Calvin has ever been sick in the eleven years we've had him. I was very concerned! At the vet's on that Saturday morning, he was diagnosed with pancreatitis but he was still pretty perky overall. So the vet let us take him home. She gave him meds and sub-Q fluids, and gave us a bag of fluids to take with us, also, along with medication. Calvin was none too good on Sunday, but turned around that evening. We then took him to our regular vet that following Tuesday. He did some more tests, but all looked good. Calvin is now 95% back to normal, but I'm still a little concerned about that other 5%. He's on a low fat diet and will be forever, I guess. If you have any words of wisdom from your sister, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

pup     

@pupwhipped  My sister's dog, Sammy, had a bout when he was very young.  He never had a full on attack again, but has "episodes".  I can't say that she has found any magic bullet.  She tends to try everything under the sun to entice him to eat. 

The holistic vet put Willie on a product for his IBD.  It is called GASTRIPLEX by THORNE.  I get it on Amazon now.  It has a lot of reviews if you care to read about it.  You may also get some ideas on the PET FORUM because sadly, I don't think these GI issues are rare.  BTW what kind of dog is Calvin - love the name!

I love the plates and the dog poster, too! 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs, Calvin is a Cairn. He was a stray found running the streets. The shelter contacted a Cairn rescue group I was volunteering for and we decided to foster him. That was eleven years ago. Ha! He was probably around one or two years old when we got him. The name was the one the shelter gave him and we just ran with it.

Calvin's appetite is great even with his new low fat food. And we've had no more vomiting or "problematic" stools. Woman Surprised He just seems a bit more laid back or something. But then I have to remember he's no spring chicken any more either. I suspect the problem all came about because of his over indulgent parents...us. A piece or two of cheese here, a bit of filet mignon treat there, and some more egg and cheese just for the heck of it. We were the problem. But those days are OVER!

Thanks!

pup  

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped Thanks for sharing! Love all these items. Fall is my favorite season. I do enjoy the summer too but every year I tolerate the heat less. How did I run around and play in this heat as a kid or lay out in the sun as a teen! Now I would pass out. But I digress...the plates are very cheerful.

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@pupwhipped Thanks for sharing! Love all these items. Fall is my favorite season. I do enjoy the summer too but every year I tolerate the heat less. How did I run around and play in this heat as a kid or lay out in the sun as a teen! Now I would pass out. But I digress...the plates are very cheerful.

@SunValley, all I've done in this thread is digress and get off topic with my dog's health stuff. Ha! So I'll digress with you here about the heat. I will never forget when my best friend and I were around 15 or so...I remember we weren't old enough to drive yet. Anyway, my mom drops us off at the local tennis courts and it had to be 102 in the shade. My friend and I played tennis most of the day and had a whale of a time. We knew it was hot, of course, but didn't care and just played our little hearts out. Had a ball! Now I can break into a heck of a sweat just getting up out of my chair. Ha! Times they do change, don't they?  

Honored Contributor

The animal plates are cute! Cat Happy

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@SunValley, all I've done in this thread is digress and get off topic with my dog's health stuff. Ha! So I'll digress with you here about the heat. I will never forget when my best friend and I were around 15 or so...I remember we weren't old enough to drive yet. Anyway, my mom drops us off at the local tennis courts and it had to be 102 in the shade. My friend and I played tennis most of the day and had a whale of a time. We knew it was hot, of course, but didn't care and just played our little hearts out. Had a ball! Now I can break into a heck of a sweat just getting up out of my chair. Ha! Times they do change, don't they?  

@pupwhipped That's how conversations go...off topic and then back to the subject. Your story brought back a lot of summer memories! 

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@tends2dogs, Calvin is a Cairn. He was a stray found running the streets. The shelter contacted a Cairn rescue group I was volunteering for and we decided to foster him. That was eleven years ago. Ha! He was probably around one or two years old when we got him. The name was the one the shelter gave him and we just ran with it.

Calvin's appetite is great even with his new low fat food. And we've had no more vomiting or "problematic" stools. Woman Surprised He just seems a bit more laid back or something. But then I have to remember he's no spring chicken any more either. I suspect the problem all came about because of his over indulgent parents...us. A piece or two of cheese here, a bit of filet mignon treat there, and some more egg and cheese just for the heck of it. We were the problem. But those days are OVER!

Thanks!

pup  

@pupwhipped  OT  Stay strong about cheese, etc.......Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I am not ready for fall yet although it seems like the months fly by.  I don't need any more decorations as I don't have the storage space living in an apt. and my storage locker is for my Christmas decos which I am going to cut down again this year and my lawn chairs for my deck and the planters I have.  I should be grateful for the storage room which I am but you know how it is when it comes to storage -- can never have enough.  I do like the cat plate you displayed.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength