Highlighted
Respected Contributor

A blast from the past... a Waterbed!

I was just thinking the other day about the Waterbed I had in the early '80s.   I remember them being such a cool thing and was so excited to purchase one.    Unfortunately, it didn't take me too long to find out what a pain they were.   Making the bed was so difficult and as soon as your bed partner moved in the slightest you rolled over towards them and almost on to them.

I don't think I kept it for even a year.   My friend's sister was in the market to buy one and was thrilled to get mine at a lower price than the stores were selling them. 

I can't remember exactly when they went out of style but I remember all of the Waterbed stores slowly closing their doors.

Now be honest, did you ever succumb to the Waterbed craze?

Honored Contributor

Re: A blast from the past... a Waterbed!

Our friends still have the same waterbed they have had for years. New liners of course, but I think they have had it for over 30 years.

Super Contributor

We had a water bed for many years. It was so comfy and warm. I can't remember if it was because it sprung a leak or if the motor went out is the reason we replaced it. I don't think I could get out of a water bed now......LOL

Honored Contributor

We have a king size pedestal waterbed with the drawers underneath, that we've had for 25 years and we've only had to replace the heater a few times.

We also have a queen size hard side waterbed (looks like a regular mattress and takes regular sheets) that I love, when I can get my avatar out of it, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl  it was my best sleep ever!! I only got rid of it after maybe 15 years because a friends leaked and did major damage to her house.  I miss the best sleep of my life!!!!!   I now have a sleep number bed, which is nice, but still no comparison.   Knew stores were closing but not sure how they went out of style

Honored Contributor

Never had one, but slept on one several times.  The water sloshed around and felt like I was sleeping on a raft.  

Sorry to say, it was a horrible experience.  

Esteemed Contributor

No, I slept on one a few times as well. I could not get used to it.

A weird feeling, never a full nights sleep.

Trusted Contributor

We hd a waterbed in the early 1980's and I loved it !!!!

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@J Town Girl  it was my best sleep ever!! I only got rid of it after maybe 15 years because a friends leaked and did major damage to her house.  I miss the best sleep of my life!!!!!   I now have a sleep number bed, which is nice, but still no comparison.   Knew stores were closing but not sure how they went out of style

@lynnie61 

I have to agree! I get no back, neck or shoulder aches in our waterbed!

I put a tempurpedic bed in our spare bedroom and absolutely hated it. I gave it away and went back to my cozy, comfy waterbed.

Our older waterbed is waveless, so no sloshing or waves at all and the hardside waterbeds also have no waves or sloshing.

I love being able to control how warm or cool my bed is!

DD recently had a hysterectomy and stayed here for her aftercare an she had no problem getting in or out of one of my waterbeds.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I never jumped in the river on this one! LOL

I believed they were way to heavy for the floors, that the risk of leak and the damage the water could do, wasn't worth it. 

And I've had hip/lower back issues since my teens, and I was always advised they didn't provide the kind of support I needed.