Honored Contributor

Re: A Whole Day Of Crafting?

@Dusty1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden Wow.

@Dusty1   Just saying what many think when given homemade crafty gifts.... it is not something everyone likes or wants.  I just do not like those kind of things. Homemade food, candles, soap and such. 

@SeaMaiden So basically you want someone to give you a gift card or cash so that you can go & buy yourself something thoughtful?

Because, if a lovely friend gives you a clothing item you may not like it. Shoes may hurt your bunion. Perfume may smell like stink bugs when you mix it with your skin's chemistry. Flowers? Ugh. Cheap looking carnations!

A throw to keep you warm? It's too heavy, too thin, too colorful. A sign for your front door that warns away unwelcome visitors may clash with your color scheme.

A gift is when someone cares enough about you to want to share something with you because they thought of you. The thought is the real gift, true, & you should never give a gift expecting anything in return I suppose.

But, a bit of appreciation for anyone that thought enough of you to make/or buy you a gift wouldn't really hurt would it? 

Perhaps it would.

I'm glad I can't hear peoples thoughts. I'm starting to be afraid that it would be like reading an internet forum.

@Dusty1  HUH?😶

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio You have a memory in every room of your house with the beautiful handcrafted gifts to you over the years. They all sound so nice with a story to share behind each one. You are loved by many.

Both of my grandmothers had died and one of my grandfathers had died by the time I was born. I so missed having them to love.

My children love the homemade afghans. My sons three boys all got homemade afghans with graphs of dirt bikes he helped me with. They all have their favorite colors on the bikes and the numbers on the bikes are the age that they were when I made them. There also is a lot of pride of accomplishing something beautiful also.

My dog Precious made sure she got one too!IMG_1750.JPG

Enjoy all your precious memories as I try to make memories every day with the people I love. Since the kids have families of their own Precious makes ours every day. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Don't think I would enjoy all those craft shows on tv but a fun time for me is perusing Pat Catans craft stores as well as Michael's, Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby.  I did many crafts in my day and sold quite a bit.  I did lots of counted cross stitch in all shapes and form, made pillows and stuffed wall hangings and made snowmen from those cheap plastic electric window candles.  We have lots of craft shows around my area especially in the fall that I go to.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If sales weren't good, HSN wouldn't have these craft days so often.  I had a friend who had a spare bedroom outfitted as a craft room. She did mostly paper crafts like greeting cards and things made of paper.  She must have had thousands of dollars worth of equipment and supplies.

@Kachina624 LOL!!  I have two friends like that right now.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden Wow.

@Dusty1   Just saying what many think when given homemade crafty gifts.... it is not something everyone likes or wants.  I just do not like those kind of things. Homemade food, candles, soap and such. 

Going to a fall or holiday craft show is one of my favorite things!  Of course I prefer a juried show where there is usually high quality handcrafted items.

I like buying gifts to give others from craft shows & Etsy.  While there are plenty of candles, soaps & paper goods, you'll also see many unique and high quality items from artists mixed in with the not so great. 

I bought a beautiful personalized wooden tray that had been made from the wood of wine barrels. It was for my nephew who was getting married at a winery.  I recently bought my mom a gorgeous hand painted silk scarf and bought myself one at a craft show in Lyon, France...it's stunning!

Then there are people who you just can't buy for so it's best to skip gift giving or just get them a gift card.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love all the craft shows in town around the holidays. Usually beautiful things and not a bunch of junk made in China.

Respected Contributor

Watched the HSN craft show quite a bit yesterday. Was happy to see different craft making vendors, along with the usual paper crafting ones.  I saw candle making, knitting, fabric stocking patterns/kits.  All in all a very good day for them and for crafters. A few sellouts even on the epensive merchandise! Good show.

Trusted Contributor

Well, from Crafters Paradise, the crating industry has had sales of $44BILLION , so yeah, crafting is a thing. 63% of American households do some sort of crafting.

Respected Contributor

I am not directing this at anyone, but I love crafting and I have always appreciated handmade gifts. It takes time, patience, skill and love to make something for somebody...

Poodlepet2

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 

I dabble in simple craft stuff time to time.  (Just For Fun)  Craft Shows are fun to watch. 

Right now I am enjoying coloring and consider myself quite the   *COLORISTA* !!  

Recently  ordered an Anna Griffin color portfolio  set that was on $ clearance.  

I put together a pretty Wedding Wish card for a friend with a poem I wrote and CASH. 

This was all quite homemade and from the heart.  Friend loved it!  

Keep Calm and Craft On, 

CAT