Honored Contributor

Re: A Traditional 'Early American' Look...

It’s nicely done, but not my style. I need more color & desire less clutter. The sizes of the rooms are nice, and I like the architecture. I also like some of the individual pieces, especially the wooden tables, cabinets, & consoles. I like the kitchen minus the drapes. I’m really not a fan of hanging plates on walls. 

Respected Contributor

Looks fussy and uncomfortable to me (and those Windsor chairs ... my aching back!!!).

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Well, I see the early returns don't favor this look... Woman LOL I understand. While I personally like the look, this is a pretty extreme example and while I love almost all of the elements, using them all together pushes this one a bit over the top... Woman Wink

I'm in the minority I guess, but I really like it a lot. I think it's a classic look, it will be around forever, but I guess you like it or you don't.

At one time, this was a look I tried to achieve for myself, but through the years I have changed to a more "cottagy look", for lack of a better term.  More cutsey, I guess, more casual.

One thing I'm certain of now that I'm "old".  I decorate for myself, totally, and I really don't care about the opinions of others.  I used to feel hurt if someone said something really negative about my decorating style, but no longer.  I just want to have my things the way I really like them.  No one else lives here.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like it. But the first two pictures I would have to remove some chairs. And the last picture I would remove both chairs.

Trusted Contributor

Love the kitchen

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Well, I see the early returns don't favor this look... Woman LOL I understand. While I personally like the look, this is a pretty extreme example and while I love almost all of the elements, using them all together pushes this one a bit over the top... Woman Wink

I'm in the minority I guess, but I really like it a lot. I think it's a classic look, it will be around forever, but I guess you like it or you don't.

At one time, this was a look I tried to achieve for myself, but through the years I have changed to a more "cottagy look", for lack of a better term.  More cutsey, I guess, more casual.

One thing I'm certain of now that I'm "old".  I decorate for myself, totally, and I really don't care about the opinions of others.  I used to feel hurt if someone said something really negative about my decorating style, but no longer.  I just want to have my things the way I really like them.  No one else lives here.

As it should be @blueroses47. We should decorate to please ourselves and others in the household, if any. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

I like a lot of the furniture and find it nicely coordinated, but its a case of LESS is more----the rooms need a bit of decluttering --- some of the furniture and wall groupings need to be removed.....

I feel the same way...too much stuff!  I'm not a fan of cluttered walls or pot racks. 

I like the bright look of the rooms but would have mixed more clean lines and contemporary pieces in with the the colonial look.

@haddon9  I'm not a fan of contemporary but I tend to agree. I'm not much of a fan of 'period' rooms for myself, though they are often beautiful. I tend to prefer to mix pieces, looks and periods, though I have to admit, for me, there is something nostalgic and pleasing about seeing these rooms.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb   Early American is what my parents had from the early 1950's to mid-1970's. We never had plates haning on the wall or all those horrible knick-knacks!

Our home was a lovely, large colonial with celery green wool carpeting throughout and drapes to match. The woods were maple and cherrywood and the prints were stripes and florals. It was a stunning place to entertain and grow up. Mom taught me how to decorate in that house.

These pictures were Lesson #1: Less is best. Whoever decorated those rooms certainly likes clutter. That home has good bones, but the decor is needs to be trimmed way down. I do like the color schemes used.      

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

My oh my, so many plates and so little wall 😯

Honored Contributor

reminds me of our home growing up my mother loved all Americana I think she had the same mirror over the mantle.  And same style of furniture.

Our kitchen was a big traditional 1960s avocado green or was it harvest gold😉