Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Traditional 'Early American' Look...

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

I like a lot of the furniture and find it nicely coordinated, but its a case of LESS is more----the rooms need a bit of decluttering --- some of the furniture and wall groupings need to be removed.....

@Spurt  So true... Too much of a good thing, and I didn't even include some shots of even more 'collections'. Woman Surprised

@stevieb @Spurt  I agree with both of you.  It's overdone. My parents had "Early American" which was warm and inviting.  There are some lovely elements in the home that could be used even today that would anchor this style and different accessories would make it more up to date.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb   Lovely.  Reminds me of Williamsburg.   Love those wooden side chairs!!!

Honored Contributor

Even though it is not my style, I kind of like a lot of it. It is definitely homey and warm feeling, but in some instances, I felt there was too much on the walls...The kitchen was nice. They like to decorate in groupings, it seems, and its a little too much for me...I love the huge rooms though. 

Respected Contributor

Industrial and minimalist are my least favorite forms of decor, but Early American is right up there with the contenders.  Didn't like it when it was real popular in the 1970's and don't like it now either.  Many people would not like my style of decor which would be English Country or traditional formal.

Honored Contributor

This is definitely not for me..all those plates hanging on the walls, heavy drapes, clutter everywhere.

It's funny some see this as warm and inviting and I see it as cold and stuffy.

I do like the kitchen minus the drapes and plates on the walls.

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Esteemed Contributor

This isn't all the same house, is it?  Too much stuff on the walls in first pic.  Second is way too busy w/different patterns.  I like the kitchen sans the pot rack.  Never did like them.

All in all, I like EA, but it has to be done right.  Like the dining sets.

Honored Contributor

Although it is not my style,  I enjoyed looking at the pictures.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

I like a lot of the furniture and find it nicely coordinated, but its a case of LESS is more----the rooms need a bit of decluttering --- some of the furniture and wall groupings need to be removed.....

I feel the same way...too much stuff!  I'm not a fan of cluttered walls or pot racks. 

I like the bright look of the rooms but would have mixed more clean lines and contemporary pieces in with the the colonial look.

Honored Contributor

I grew up with Early American furniture and I have never been a big fan of it.  However there are elements/pieces that I do like very much.

That being said, I don't love the rooms featured here.

Respected Contributor

Too much stuff.  Looks cluttered.