Honored Contributor

A TOUCH OF WEDGWOOD JASPERWARE, KANDY-KOLORED KLASSIC!

I've always like this velvety, matte (NOT glossy) stoneware classic, studded with mythical scenes and cherubs, and made in sumptuous colors.  Just a little bit of it brings a fun, slightly starchy English vibe to any table top or room.  I like to mix my few pieces with my more rustic things, just for the contrast.

We all know that famous dreamy blue, but it was made in over 30 colors.  Interestingly, the scarlet shade is apparently the most valuable, and you hardly ever see it.  I have only 2 pieces of green, and one of pink.

There's something so sweet about this paint-box:

800px-Paint_Box,_1785-1790,_Wedgwood_Pottery,_Burslem,_solid_blue_jasper_on_white_relief_-_Art_Institute_of_Chicago_-_DSC09829.JPG

jasperware-main.jpg

Here's that highly prized red.  I've seen (only in pictures) red jasperware that was much more "cherry" and less "brick-ey" too.  That's another fun thing about jasperware, the colors can vary a little over time.

Goblet_or_Beaker,_Josiah_Wedgwood_and_Sons,_c._1780,_red_jasperware_-_Chazen_Museum_of_Art_-_DSC01967.JPG

Here's the famous Portland Vase:

Portland_Vase_V&A.jpg

800px-Horse_Frightened_by_a_Lion_by_Josiah_Wedgwood.jpg

I found a picture online of the same little green pitcher or cream jug that I have.  That creamy white frieze that goes around it, in real life looks like lace, and the little figures are so detailed!  I love it.

84ffd8e8-4652-40a6-a53b-3d9df15633aa.png

Vintage-Wedgwood-Jasper.jpg

canvas.png

I don't know why I find jasperware so restful and charming.  Maybe it's the sense of history you get from all the little classical tableaux on it, combined with those pretty colors.... 

Anyway, thank you 18th century English genius entrepreneur and potter, Josiah Wedgwood, for experimenting and coming up with jasperware!  Josiah was a fabulous guy, and incidentally, a noted abolitionist of the 1700's. 

Respected Contributor

Re: A TOUCH OF WEDGWOOD JASPERWARE, KANDY-KOLORED KLASSIC!

@Oznell what a treat!  so much beauty.  i love the colors.  interesting that Josiah was an abolitionist.

Honored Contributor

Somewhere in my garage full of boxes, I have my mom's Wedgewood teapot which looks exactly like the blue one pictured.  Seems as though she had other pieces too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Such lovely pieces, @Oznell .  They appeal to me the same way well done cameos do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell   Beautiful Wedgewood! Thank you for the pictures. I have always liked it and have mostly small pieces.

I love boxes and have a green box and dish. I’ve never seen the red either, but will watch for it. 

I switch decorative pieces around and may pull out the Wedgewood after the holidays.

I live near a very upscale consignment/ close out store. They reduce things every few months so it’s a game watching something and getting it at the third reduction. I browse often and it’s interesting seeing how much some of my things are not as valuable as I thought. 🙁

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  I have always loved Jasperware... I love the classical figures and the cameo like appearance... All of the colors are pretty even though I prefer some to others... Still, pieces in any of the colors would be welcome...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

I have several pieces of yellow and love it.

Honored Contributor

Lovely pieces..I like all the colors but the green with blue accents is so pretty.

Respected Contributor

My mother had blue Wedgwood lamps, a chandelier, and Queensware tabletop place settings. She passed them on to me decades ago. The lamps & chandelier didn't fit with my decor, but I held onto them in boxes for years until a cousin wanted them. The place settings were glazed ivory with a blue/periwinkle trim at the edges. I thought they were beautiful then and think the same now. I never used them and ended up giving them away also. I still have blue & white dishes, except they're casual Johnson Bros. At one time (1980's) I had at least 12 different dinnerware patterns. My mom had a few Wedgwood trinkets, and even a Wedgwood ring with a daisy on it. I grew up with French Provencial (& Italian) furniture. While I appreciate that aesthetic and believe there's beauty in most design, as a Buyer of home decorative accessories for 20+ years my taste was eclectic but more streamlined or simplified. The Greek and Roman mythological depictions on Wedgwood are lovely.

Honored Contributor

Exquisite and so appealing, each and every piece of Wedgwood pictured!  I love the classic scenes detailed on the pieces and I would love that paint box, so lovely!  I would be happy to own any one of the pieces !  

My mother loved French Limoges as I do  but the Wedgwood is equally appealing.