Honored Contributor

A SCATTERING OF DIFFERENT ENGLISH HOMES

First, I was just looking at English kitchens, then, thought it might be fun to take a whirlwind look at a few different English houses that definitely reflect their owners.  So this will be a higgledy piggledy, seemingly random thread.  Hope it makes sense!

Ben Pentreath is one of the foremost young English designers in a traditional vein..   Am enjoying the deceptive simplicity of this kitchen he did in rural Cornwall:

210902InceBarton_173.jpg

That lamp in the foreground is a witty tribute to the famous blue striped pottery of the region, Cornishware.  But it also looks like mochaware, with that tree-like embellishment on the blue.   Love the painted kitchen chairs, the Welsh dresser, the table, the two toned cabinets.   Breath of fresh air.

I might be biased, since I adore the sea-bound county of Cornwall.  This is the view, by the way, outside of this particular cottage, whew:

210902InceBartonOutside_065.jpg

The thing that draws me to English decorating the most, is the happy use of color.  Here's the dining area in Melanie Lissack's period house in Essex, on the edge of the Epping Forest.  It looks like a fun place for a cuppa...

melanie-lissack-dining-room-65fc2e0b21d61.jpeg

She does interesting things with her cupboard--

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.20.02 PM.png

Love those 'fish scale' tiles ( or whatever you call them) in the kitchen--

Home-tour-of-Melanie-Lissack-Georgian-period-home-ikea-upcycled-furniture-hacks-13-1482x2048.jpg

Lively stair hall:

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.59.56 PM.png

In her living room, she took her color cues from that unusual russet marble surround on her fireplace...

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.20.30 PM.png

....selecting a richly shaded lamp and chair to complement...    Mmm, cozy jewel tones...

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.20.48 PM.png

By contrast, her TV room merges with the lush green garden outside... 

melanie-lissack-french-living-room-doors-65fc215c4adde.jpeg

For those of you who want to see the more utilitarian side of pretty houses, there was a picture of her vacuuming, or "hoovering" (?)  the family room, but I can't find it now!

Diane Hill is an artist, as opposed to an interior designer.   It's always fascinating to see how artists arrange their surroundings--

From her studio, and also from her wardrobe, I can already see we share a similar color palette-- yay, chalky pastels!

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.05.18 PM.png

Her Hertfordshire house is a semi-detached structure, built in the Fifties. Love her living room's sapphire sofa, and the airiness of her blue and white scheme.   Given the midcentury origins of her house, the fireplace is simple, but still so enhancing.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.31.42 PM.png

Those gorgeous Chinoiserie-type panels were painted by her, and bring a little of the adjoining pale pink kitchen, into the dining area...

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.03.23 PM.png

And yes, she has a comfortable family room for stashing the kids!  Still pretty though.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.55.15 PM.png

Her affinity for botanicals and dreamy pastels, extends to the romantic, traditional bedroom.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.04.12 PM.png

Designer Sophie Robinson had a conservatory attached to the house, that she didn't like.  Hated the white, "plastick-y" windows.  Her solution was also color-- she painted them a pale, bluey green.  Then, took other color cues from a favorite painting:

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 1.28.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.11.15 PM.png

You can see she really did get inspired by the light-hearted gaiety of the painting--

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.10.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.09.58 PM.png

She was careful to incorporate sentimental family pieces, like the rattan settee with striped cushions.   While her color temperature and love for patterns is a little bit "hotter" and more intense than mine, I see the skill employed here.   The room really does look like a fun place to relax and take in the outdoors!

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.10.17 PM.png

Respected Contributor

Re: A SCATTERING OF DIFFERENT ENGLISH HOMES

[ Edited ]

@Oznell Your posts are so interesting.  There is something in everyone of the rooms shown that I like.  I especially like the Conseratory, the bedroom and the blue/white kitchen cabinets with the blue shelves and the blue lamp.  I like antique lamps and have one very similar to the one with the fringe shade in my bedroom.  Also like the teal door in the hall.  So many interesting things in these rooms.

I am partial to color and love colorful rooms as shown.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful designs and decor!!!!  Diane Hill's artistry is so impressive and lovely!!!!  Very takented.  There is something appealing in every room!  I could easily feel comfortable and content in these settings!!!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

Stunning use of color!  I got my first clue that she might love ❤️ color in the very first picture when I caught a glimpse of the orange window shade to the left!  What a gorgeous view outside too, just dreamy!

Although much of the artwork or strong colors wouldn't work with my current scheme, I do love it all!  The style of my actual home is such that I could pull off a lot of color and bold, contemporary choices too.  It's a shame I can't afford to completely start from scratch and redecorate...I'd love to sometimes.

Thank you for sharing.  I always enjoy your posts so much.😊❤️

Honored Contributor

All the rooms are colorful and have a comfy feel.  I like them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I love photos 3 & 4.  The bright yellow in the kitchen is so charming and warm and I also like photo 9 (I love the door and the view).  I would move there in a nano second!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell I love how eclectic and colorful each room is.

i especially like the conservatory.  Love the color and the view! 

In my own home, my decor is also eclectic, and colorful, and I would love to transport each of these rooms to incorporate into my own space.  Wouldn't that be fun and delightful? 

Valued Contributor

Great pictures! I love English country kitchens and English conservatories.

Honored Contributor

So great hearing from fellow color-loving posters about your own tastes and rooms! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

One word!  In love!!!  This wall treatment, OH!!!

melanie-lissack-french-living-room-doors-65fc215c4adde.jpeg

I want this vase of flowers!

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.20.48 PM.png