Honored Contributor

A Mixture of Periods... (New Pic Added)

[ Edited ]

They labeled this room 'French Country Modern'. To me, it isn't. It's simply a mixture of styles and there's certainly nothing 'French' about the Windsor chair...

French-Country-Modern-Dream-Home-1-Kindesign.jpg

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

When do they plan to finish moving in?

Somehow, if this were a Parisian apartment with white walls, a mixture of furniture, and undressed windows, the owner would manage to make it look quite chic.  This room however, looks unfinished and boring, and aside from the chest, there really isn't one other piece of furniture that I'd want. (Well maybe the Windsor chair...)

Thank you for posting.  I always feel bad when I really dislike something that someone was kind enough to post. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Definitely needs some color.

Esteemed Contributor

It looks more sparse like a Danish design, but I'm certainly no decorator.  I'm more of the 'work with what you got hand-me-down queen'Woman LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like anything in this room.  I would take out everything and start over.  The white walls would be okay if there was color in the furniture and rug.  Different furniture and rug needed.......... And cover those windows!! 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb I actually don't have a style or period for a label, but I like the spareness of the room as well as what I think might be comfortable seating and my colors, too.

@faeriemoon No reason we all have to like it- I am often quite happy not to like room or clothes or jewelry that many others love.  If nothing else, setting aside from things makes deciding what to bring into my own life much easier.   All that said -  overall I like that room.

Respected Contributor

I agree with you, @stevieb. With the exception of the coffee table and possibly the chest, there's nothing "French country" about this.  A few rough wooden ceiling beams, with a warmer paint color (or stucco treatment) for the walls, might warrant the description. Otherwise, it's lacking in the charm, character, and comfort usually associated with French Country,

Honored Contributor

Re: A Mixture of Periods...

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon  No need to feel awkward about not liking it. I don't like a lot of what I post! Besides, different opinions, well stated, make for interesting threads. As far as this room, I do like the Windsor chair, chest and coffee table, otherwise, no. Interestingly enough, for some reason, I don't mind the gestalt, though I certainly can't say I really like it either. All that said, I don't find it looks unfinished, other than the windows needing some kind of covering, and while it is rather Spartan, I don't necessarily find it boring. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@stevieb I actually don't have a style or period for a label, but I like the spareness of the room as well as what I think might be comfortable seating and my colors, too.

@faeriemoon No reason we all have to like it- I am often quite happy not to like room or clothes or jewelry that many others love.  If nothing else, setting aside from things makes deciding what to bring into my own life much easier.   All that said -  overall I like that room.

@millieshops  What's interesting to me is that while I'd never have chosen any of the seating pieces in this room other than the Windsor chair, I do agree, the upholstered sofa and chairs look comfortable; and although not my typical M.O. I too like the spare look of the room.

Honored Contributor

I rather like the simplicity of the room but I'd call it contemporary rather than "modern". 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment