Valued Contributor

Re: A MAXIMALIST FLEAMARKET FAN TOURS HER LIVING ROOM

I think it's cute, especially for a young first time homeowner who may not  have much money to decorate.  I don't care for the gallery wall of vintage paintings. One or two may have been nice to mix in with some modern pieces, but there is something about grouping them that screams I got them cheap at the thriftstore.

I do like vintage paintings. I got a painting that looked to be from the forties. It was $4 because it had a small dent in it.  I put some water on the dent to saturate it. Then with the blowdryer I was able to get the dent out. The canvas shrinks back. You do it on the back side.

My idea of a maximalist would be Iris Apfels apartment, or Mary Englebreits homes.

Honored Contributor

I love your ingenuity in restoring your vintage painting, @beautybee !   It's fun to bring things back to life and usefulness like that.  I've done a few things like that-- not as clever as what you did, but working minor repairs on a flawed item I may have picked up.  It's so satisfying.

Honored Contributor

She is having fun and it shows. Her home reflects her personality... I love that. 

Honored Contributor

Brutalism = uglyism.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @Imaoldhippie !   I kind of think that too, about some of it.  But I have seen some buildings that are called "Brutalist" that are sort of interesting, in that blocky, massive way.  Some of them remind me of great, impregnable stone fortresses...

It's funny that even in the definition of the style, they refer to it as having a "forbidding" quality--  I agree with that!

Honored Contributor

The Brutalist look reminds me of one of my favorite old horrors with Vincent Price, House on Haunted Hill.  The movie shows the facade of the home in the beginning, not at all my taste!

I used to shop at Good Will, Salvation Army and the Thrift shops for bargains and much of my furnishings and decor when I went out on my own came from those places.  I also loved going to antique shops.  I can appreciate and relate to this young lady and her finds!  

I love the rugs especially the red one, great buy.  I like rooms that have old pictures on the walls.  The rocking chair is very nice and another good pick.  I have mentioned before I use old books for decor and put photos and other pieces on top of them.  I have been doing that for years.  It  is obvious she enjoys finding great bargains.

In general I like the enthusiasm and love this woman puts into her home.

Esteemed Contributor

She is so into her art of creating these unique and comfortable spaces. Thank you for the recommendation @Oznell