Honored Contributor

Re: A Good Mix Of Modern and Farmhouse?

I really love the farmhouse look but never used it in my home...okay maybe when we did the laundry room a few years ago I added a few elements. 

It's a long skinny room and the one long wall we added wainscoting which I painted off white and above the chair rail I painted beige and added three large sepia toned photos of laundry related images framed in distressed barnwood.  I also added a vintage iron, wire baskets and a mason jar filled with old clothes pins on a shelf....my touch of farmhouse.

I 'm in the process of redecorating my living room which is a more traditional look and have been watching youtube videos of 2021 home decorating trends.

What they all seem to say:  On the way out....farmhouse, all white kitchens, all gray tones and gray floors.

On the way in....warmer tones (more beiges and warm colors), kitchens with upper white cabinets and darker colored bottom cabinets, lighter wood floors (as opposed to the current dark wood) and lots of natural materials.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9   I posted this picture because I think it is a good mix of traditonal with farmhouse.  I couldn't find a picture exactly like I wanted but I am finding that if I add too much traditional to farmhouse or too much farmhouse/rustic to traditional, my room just doesn't look right.  I can't afford to just get rid of everything and start over.  I am also finding that some of the modern farmhouse pieces of decor (that still have a farmhouse edge to them works really well) as in a piece of pottery that's neither too rustic or too modern or like this glass vase in this picture mixed with wood candlesticks and pebbles. Also I added more casual pillows to my sofa. They are made out of cotton and linen to give a more casual look.  Good luck with all your decorating.  It can be both fun and frustrating!

Your laundry room sounds really cute!

A living room gets a spring refresh with simple florals, candle light, and light fabrics.  #springdecor #livingroom #springlivingroom #springaccents #livingroomdesign #livingroomdecor #budgetdecor        

Honored Contributor

@jubilant Thanks!  I am very happy with how the laundry room came out! Smiley Happy

As for the living room, I've been wanting to do a redo for several years.  What pushed me over the edge is seeing the last season of "The Crown". 

Margaret Thatcher's home in the 1980s at Downing Street has a cornucopia of floral in her living room!  She has a floral sofa, loveseat, chairs and even the drapes are all flowered!  I had to laugh when I saw that!...I remember it being somewhat popular. 

I have a flowered sofa (what was I thinking?!) that I bought from Ethan Allen back in the mid 90s.  It's in excellent condition but so dated and I'm sick of it!...time for new and I'm excited!  The only problem is I will have to wait 6 months since the furniture store is very backed up with orders.

I also can't just get all new....The sofa, chairs and coffee table will be new but everything else will stay the same.  You just have to figure what works with what you love and have.