Respected Contributor

Re: A Good Mix Of Modern and Farmhouse?

[ Edited ]

I don't like it at all.  I think it's because I abhor the color grey.    

Honored Contributor

Wow, @jubilant ,  three new shops for finding goodies!  That's also healthy for your down town economy.  And how helpful that they have that generous policy of "try-at-home"--  that takes a lot of the pressure off...   So glad to hear that your particular project is giving you more joy than angst--  do keep us posted!

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the rug or curtains....the design is done to death IMO.

I do really like everything else....warm pretty room.

Valued Contributor

Gray has been run in the ground by decor magazines,TV, etc. I heard recently, "Friends don't let friends decorate with gray." I like neutral to a point, but this gray fad is nonsense.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'd never want to disparage the style of anyone who truly loves this look, but just for me, it does not work.

I could be wrong, but, unfortunately, the over-use in recent years of what has come to be known as "farmhouse" or "urban farmhouse" has resulted in a sort of "formula" look that I believe will date an interior that has too many of those elements all together.

For some years, the over use of certain elements has already made many turn away from the look.  These overused, trendy elements include: 

1) the ubiquitous quatrefoil motif in rugs (or quatrefoil anything, right now. I do think this will come back, eventually-- it just got to be too much, in a short period of time).

2) old 'chippy' paint windows used as decor, hung on walls or leaning.

3) galvanized buckets

4) gray walls as a 'default' choice  (again this color is a classic, but it became too "expected".  But think of French grey salons-- if it fits your aesthetic, it's never wrong). 

So for me, this room has some challenges, as is.

Perhaps just one of the elements could get by, but all of them together to me reads as a bit tired.

The handsome mantel calls for more 'classic' decorating, I think, something that would be easy to inject into the room, once some of the other things were cleared away.  

@Oznell 

Beautifully written and an example many could learn from if they only will.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

I don't care for the rug or curtains....the design is done to death IMO.

I do really like everything else....warm pretty room.

Done to Death by Pottery Barn.

Rinse and repeat by adding loads of MIC goods to your decor.

Honored Contributor

Hey,  how kind of you to say,  @ECBG !

Esteemed Contributor

I love the gray. I would change the rug and curtains.

Esteemed Contributor

Not a wow for me. 

Honored Contributor

It's ok, but I don't use grey in my home. I don't really like the rug or curtains. I also dislike the weathered window piece on the mantel and the bucket. I would never put those 2 things in my living room, or to be brutally honest, anywhere in my home. I like the pink flower arrangements though.