Honored Contributor

A FRONT DOOR TO END ALL FRONT DOORS

The title of the thread is a little tongue in cheek, but this door just kills me!   It's the entrance to a brown stained house from the 1750's in Historic Deerfield village in Massachusetts.  Intrepid designer Laurel Bern took it while on a "pilgrimage" there.

photo-LB-Interiors-Historic-Deerfield-Old-Main-St.-Sheldon-House-front-door-scaled.jpeg

Just LOVE the weathering, and thinking of all the comings and goings that door has seen in the centuries since it was built.  I love old, bare, stained buildings--  makes me think of "The House of the Seven Gables" probably!

Here's the entire house.  A little scary, but beautiful.

Sheldon-House-built-1754-57-photo-unknown-Historic-Deerfield-Old-Main-St.jpg

The side of this extensive structure:

Sheldon-House-1754-57-side-view-photo-LB-Interiors-Historic-Deerfield-Old-Main-St..jpeg

My, the architecture of the village.   This door she took at Deerfield is grander than the first, to be sure.  Has that same austere beauty and authenticity.  To me these are tantalizing works of art.

Ashley-House-Front-Door-Historic-Deerfield-photo-LB-Interiors.jpeg

So appreciate her photos of that place.  Would love to hear from others here who have toured Historic Deerfield.

Laurel Bern is a "house tourist" after my own heart.

Northampton-MA-Historic-Deerfield-MA.png

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A FRONT DOOR TO END ALL FRONT DOORS

Looks similar to Lizzie Bordon's bed & breakfast

Honored Contributor

I love this house and the door is interesting to say the least.  I love the weathered look.  I haven't been to Deerfield but would enjoy the visit as i have been to Mass. many times. I would love to see the interior of this home. I have a feeling I would find it very appealing.

Respected Contributor

I love the austerity of the house......... a contradiction to the elaborateness of the front door,

Honored Contributor

I love the door and the house!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor

For me this is not appealing at all. I don't see "character". I see old, dark etc.

To each their own.

Frequent Contributor

I live in Deerfield!   I go past there to our little Post Office often.   The entire "Street" has houses from that period that offer tours.   If you like Early American history, you'd love  Old Deerfield.   Also, Yankee Candle's flagship store is just a few miles away, also in Deerfield, which is an entirely different, but just as enjoyable, experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh darn.  I was expecting something exquisite.  

While I'm usually a fan of the weathered look, this doesn't float my boat.  

Honored Contributor

Belongs on a Halloween puzzle.

Honored Contributor

The whole place is rather depressing.