Honored Contributor

Re: A FEW THANKSGIVING TABLES DECKED FOR THE HOLIDAY

We always used mom's good china for every holiday when she hosted.....no paper plates for us.  I miss those days.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, it is almost time to start thinking about my Thanksgiving table.  I did buffet the past couple of years, I think I'll do a sit down this year.  I really miss having a big formal diningroom on Thanksgiving.  That's the only time I miss it.  My diningroom table seats 6  so I will need one or perhaps two card tables.  I'll do a different theme for each table but nothing quite so fancy as these tables.

Honored Contributor

Hey, @fancy pantsy, best of luck on your surgery and recovery, and no doubt you'll have a great Thanksgiving!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have any explicitly 'Thanksgiving' dishes, though some that sort of conjure up the season. I do have some Christmas dishes but find I prefer to use more 'generic' dishes, for want of a better descriptor, and make the table, and not the dishes, refelect the season or holiday. Some very nice table settings here and it looks as though most of them are along the lines of what I'm trying to describe.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

The white pumpkin centerpiece makes my heart go pitter pat. 💕

@QVCkitty1  You can still order Cheryl's pumpkin (with cookies) M65292.  It's a good size and would make a perfect holder for fall flowers or foliage.

Mine is holding fruit right now on my kitchen table.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Since the family is spread out across the country I have one daughter and her family only 2 hrs away so I do Thanksgiving for 6 and she does Christmas.  I pull out the china, silver and chrystel  and for one day a year go all out.  Since my china is very simple, cream Lenox with a very small gold band I splurged on 6 Thanksgiving dinner plates and charges and use the china serving and dessert pieces.  10 yr old grand daughter for the last three years is in charge of setting the table and folding the napkins. How fun it is to do it with her.  It's our thing. I do a fall centerpiece for the table.  They spend the weekend so Friday is for putting fall away and getting out all the Christmas decor and putting up the trees.  Great weekend!

Honored Contributor

Sounds lovely, @mspatmac.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

The white pumpkin centerpiece makes my heart go pitter pat. 💕

@QVCkitty1  You can still order Cheryl's pumpkin (with cookies) M65292.  It's a good size and would make a perfect holder for fall flowers or foliage.

Mine is holding fruit right now on my kitchen table.

@GingerPeach  Thanks , I'll check it out. 🎃

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

# 3 and # 7 are my favorites.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Now this is just my opinion but when I see dinnerware designed for only one occasion, I think what a waste of money and storage space. Still, I wish I owned many of the Temp-tations holiday bakeware and serving pieces, but I know it's not practical for us.

@AuntG 

I like holiday or seasonal dinnerware and serving pieces too. I tend to just use them for a whole season, and not just one day. 

I have some turkey plates and I get them out in September and use them all through Thanksgiving, as they just seem fall to me

Victorian English Pottery Homeland Turkey Salad Plate

I do the same with Christmas themed things, use them for about 6 weeks. 

My patriotic stuff is out for at least three months, so I get good time out of it. 

I have found it is pretty easy to have just the salad plates, like above, and use them with my solid colored every day dinnerware that coordinates, same with Christmas stuff. That way I'm not storing complete huge sets of dinnerware in a holiday specific pattern. I'd love to have complete sets of things like that, but I just don't find it would be used or easy to store either.

Sometimes when it comes to dishes and entertaining, I wish I was 25 again, and had all that time ahead of me to use and enjoy it. I certainly did enjoy collecting it and using it over those many years, and miss all the people I used to gather around the table with to share it.