Respected Contributor

Re: A CASUAL CALIFORNIA GREAT ROOM LIGHTENS UP FOR SPRING

i want to get into this beautiful corner piece and view the lovelies!

table-and-cupboard.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

So pretty @Oznell !

I like the furnishings and the overall feel and vibe of the room.

I don't understand the somewhat inexplicable small window close to the ceiling. I'd change it out for a much larger window. Let there be light! Smiley Very Happy

The monograms on the chair? Just no...Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

One look at the dining chairs, and the practical side of me said a very firm NO.  Just one spill or drop a piece of food, and it's all over.  Some people are brave like that with light colored coverings on their dining chairs, I am not one of them. Lol

I have seen too much spillage over the years! 

Valued Contributor

I find the colors soothing and relaxing. I would change some of the accents, but I definitely find her home serene and comfortable overall. Thank you as always @Oznell.
Honored Contributor

I like it but why oh why are people punching down their throw pillows in the center so it looks like 2 rabbit ears sticking up.  LOL  Every time I see that, I want to go fluff up the pillows cuz it looks ridiculous.  Sorry if someone does this and likes it.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I really like this.  I think you hit the nail on the head with the description "rustic/vintage" which is similar to my style. To me that style is comfy, cozy, and easy to live with.

Super Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.24.55 PM.png

That is a nice front door.  With the two wreaths and door handles it looks like an owl's face. 

Super Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 12.34.04 PM.png

A corner angle fireplace seems unusual, and seems to present furniture and design layout challenges.  Don't care for how the designer arranged the furniture focusing on the tv and obscuring the view of the fireplace.

Like the lemon painting and the clever branch stand/easel that supports it.  Also like the pastoral painting on her tavern table.
Honored Contributor

I think I do know what you mean, @LindaSal .   She's definitely at the farther end of more "raw"  rustic/ vintage, as opposed to "cozy",  so I can see how it can come across less warm.  She even does things like incorporate rusty garden tools in wreaths, etc.!   Same with her salvaged elements, like a distressed antique house vent on the mantel-- not everyone's cup of tea...

But I do think she's very good and instinctive, within her style, like @faeriemoon  says.   She incorporates all that with her lifetime of astute collecting of primitives and antiques.

@TheMemphisVette ,  I was wondering who would pick up on that fabulous cupboard and its contents-- she has so many great pieces like that....   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Oznell.  Your posts are always deightful.

As for the mantel, have any of you lived in California where everything is designed a la Spanish/Mexican and earthquake-resistant including windows and fireplaces, etc.  

About the layout of the room, I was thinking she probably changes it to focus the fireplace in seasonal weather and the TV in warmer weather.  Not everyone wants to focus on a fireplace in spring/summer. In fact, I set my wingchairs and a tea table in front of mine in warmer weather and set my large plants in the large window with stacked back shutters.  In the winter, I scatter the plants about the house, put the chairs in the area of the large window with stacked-back shutters, and leave the fireplace open.

She has a lot of European influence in this home with the Spanish style, French maison look and the Os de mouton chairs and dining room but keeps the Spanish influence in the chandelier. It is a rustic European with Svenska blue Gustavian blue China cabinet and cabinets and a side table which look very British.