Honored Contributor

Re: 300 YEAR OLD PENNSYLVANIA FARM

Much to like here.  And, for the most part, they kept the clutter to a minimum.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Oh, sorry @beach-mom ,  I missed your question about whether they've settled there for good, after their history of rehabbing houses.  I think she said that they started with a very tumble down one they could afford at the time, fixed it up and sold for a profit, then took that money, bought another one etc.  I think she said they did that for 16 years!

But finally, they got to a place where they could afford this historic one.  It was in terrible shape-- when you flushed the toilet upstairs, water ran down the walls, etc. etc.  They did most of the work themselves, it sounds like, back-breaking work, and hired family, like her brother, for summers at a time.  It's quite a saga...

It sounded to me, like this is their dream home, that their now grown family loves to return to, so sounds like they'd like to stay.  At least for a while! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper ,   I've not knowingly posted this particular farm on here before ( unless I did it in my sleep, ha).  But,  Ruth McKeaney's house has been widely published online, plus she has her own blogs, I think.  So you might have caught that, possibly.

Agree-- it's a dream of a farmhouse, and one of my favorites of the various colonial ones I've ever run across...

@Oznell   Sorry, I mixed it up.  I saw this home from an HGTV post on Instagram last year.  I even saved the Homeworthy video to my favorites on youtube, I loved it so much.  

This home is truly a dream.  Thank you again for posting today. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell I love the exterior german schmear on the stone. I love german schmear!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Trusted Contributor

What a beautiful home. Did she mention how much they invested in the renovation?

Honored Contributor

@LuvSoCal ,  I watched the video in stages, and part of it quite a while ago, so I'm not sure if she did.  If she mentions it, it might be in the early part of the video, so you could check that...

They did a large part of the labor themselves, being experienced renovators, and with their extended family, so the cost of such a huge project must have been at least somewhat tempered by that. 

Honored Contributor

I have a great fondness for old square type farmhouses. My grandparents had one. One thing...the air flow through them is fantastic and they rarely used their air conditioner....something that always impressed me.

The ring around the rosy...I also love setting on that gorgeous round table.

I like that everything is not "matchy matchy". I have trouble with that myself and am trying to get away from it somewhat.

One more thing I really love is "window sills" which I think adds a lot of charm to a home....great for plants,too!  Great post

@Oznell !

Honored Contributor

Very nice home inside and out! I like the warm & cozy feeling of the rooms. I like most of the furnishings, colors, and accessories. I'm not crazy about the wallpaper in the entry or dining room, but I think both work in those spaces.