Honored Contributor

I have a Hotpoint top load washer that is about 3 years old. Even on the highest water setting there is hardly any water and thus , in order for all the clothes to actually be wet and get washed, I have to do 2 or 3 times as many small loads. To wash my king size bed sheets takes 2 loads- one sheet at a time. If I try to wash them both together one of the sheets will come out partially still dry, so thus it's partially unwashed. It takes me forever to do my weekly laundry because I have to do so many loads, which I'm sure wastes more water plus wastes electric both in washer & dryer.

Re: 2018 speed queen

[ Edited ]

@Pooky1 wrote:

i saw a 2018 demo on utube this morning of there new speed queen washer.i dont like what i saw and i dont think you guys will either. check it out.

Do you not like it because the government forced speed queen to comply with new regulations and now the SQ machines don't clean as well?  Or do you not like it because it isn't "Energy Efficient" enough and actually cleans clothes?

I'm looking to replace my 1 year old Energy Star certified washing machine.  I have to go through a tedious ritual everytime I wash to get my stuff semi-clean and this process uses a TONNE of water, half of it wasted.

I have to presoak the dirty laundry and then start the machine over, which drains all the perfectly good water out.

I do this so that the machine will read the load as heavier and use a bit more water the next time to not even properly clean my clothes, but certainly better than if I don't.

If I don't do this I will find dirty clothes that never even got wet at the end.

Respected Contributor

My "Energy Efficient" Maytag is anything but that. I hate everything about it. When there isn't enough water in the machine, nothing gets clean. So sometimes I need to wash 2-3 times on the Heavy Duty cycle. Plus, it's a front-loader, & that's also horrible in every single way. 

The regulations are so bogus. I use MORE energy (water + electricity), my clothes are never perfectly clean, & I have constant issues with clogging. No water in the washer & toilet = nothing to push hair & TP through the pipes.

I'd much rather have every appliance from the 1960's, when they worked well, & were made to last. My mom had some of her appliances for 30 years!

Valued Contributor

My vintage 1983 Maytag is still chugging along.  I dread the day it dies.  I had been thinking about looking at the Speed Queen when the time comes but now probably not.  Luckily no one in our house works construction or a job that gets clothes really dirty.  I really question some of the energy efficient changes that have been implemented since if you are washing things multiple times it kind of defeats the efficient part and ups the energy.  Oh well.

Honored Contributor

With these washing machines that decide how much water you need and can use, with the exception of front loaders, can't you add a bucket or two of water from the faucet to get to the level you want?

Trusted Contributor

That is truly amazing, @ceekay - 1983! Speaks to the quality of the old Maytag. I had one at my last house in CT that was at least 12-years old. Came with the house. Couldn’t bring it when we moved to NC, but I’m thankful we got the Speed Queen set before this deadline. Works beautifully, but the washer lid doesn’t always want to stay in the upright position while being loaded. I don’t know if a part is missing, or the hinges need tightening. 

Anyone else experiencing this? It is the standard (push knob) model. 

Respected Contributor
I wonder how the task of washing clothes could have gone backwards so quickly. My 4 year old top of line top loader LG could not be repaired so I went with basic GE that had agitator. I never thought clothes were as clean as with 15 year old Kenmore. My plan was go with Speedqueen when budget allowed. Now I find out it is changing too. I don’t like idea of being guinea pig and having another dud to contend with. Ruining clothes and throwing out washer after 4 years is not saving the environment or progress.

the 2018 redesign is a disaster. SpeedQueen is turning its back on the very thing that made people love their machines. The new designs are no better than any of the other so-called "high efficiency" models which don't get clothes clean, and require constant rewashing. This is far from energy efficient. Do a youtube search for the many unhappy buyers and dealers who show the horrible agitation mechanism of this new design. They also eliminated their direct drive motor. 

Respected Contributor

Re: 2018 speed queen

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafterwrote:

With these washing machines that decide how much water you need and can use, with the exception of front loaders, can't you add a bucket or two of water from the faucet to get to the level you want?

I've been known to do that.  I have a Miele set (German made).  It is front loading so difficult to manually add additional water.  So I have to add it cup by cup thru the detergent slot.  It has actually crossed my mind to install an additional faucet so I can attach a hose to run to the washer.

When I first got it (10 years back), I was surprized at what a great job it did particularly with whites, such as underwear.  It still does a good job at cleaning the clothes if the proper detergent is used.  However I ask myself at what cost.  The friction of the laundry rubbing together with minimum water seems to cause more pilling of fabric.

The machines made for US sales were "dumbed" down compared to the European models.  Can't do a simple spin or rinse and spin.

The dryer doesn't very hot.  It is Miele's theory that heat breaks down clothing fibers.  Fine, so it takes longer to dry a load.  However if I just wish to throw something in to help get the wrinkles out, I can't do so.

I heard so many good things about the Speed Queen I was thinking of getting a set.  Now, unless I can find a 2017 model I guess I have to stick with my Miele until it dies which according to estimates will be another ten years.

Valued Contributor

@Rowan72wrote:

Works beautifully, but the washer lid doesn’t always want to stay in the upright position while being loaded. I don’t know if a part is missing, or the hinges need tightening. 

Anyone else experiencing this? It is the standard (push knob) model. 

I have the same model and my lid stays up firmly.  So maybe there is something missing.