Respected Contributor

Re: 2 Old School House Features

My stationary tub is in the garage, not my laundry room.  It is of better use to us out there.  Lots of dirty wash jobs that I would never want done inside.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I'm from New England and the title of this thread really threw me off.  We have "Old School House" homes.  My brain went in a completely different direction than was intended. LOL

Respected Contributor

Utility sink is what I call that kind of sink.  My husband called them slop sinks. 

I have one in my laundry room and it is great for dirty jobs like emptying a mop bucket and rinsing the mop.  Good for small dogs and even babies.  I like it for handwashing items, especially sneakers.  They go into the washer when clean for a good spin to get the water wrung out.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I'm from New England and the title of this thread really threw me off.  We have "Old School House" homes.  My brain went in a completely different direction than was intended. LOL

Same for me, @faeriemoon !  I think a hyphen between old and school would have kept me on track.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily  I don't know if this is an answer you're looking for but I would like window sills at every window!  I think they add to the character of a house and can be used for plants and such.

Esteemed Contributor

Can't picture a window without window sills. We lived in an older home years ago in Ohio with marble window sills, which were gorgeous. Every other home has had stained wooden (or painted) window sills, but I don't place anything on them - ever. Difficult to dust around and certainly don't want stains on that expensive hardwood!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@jubilant  Honestly that threw me for a second. I don't think I ever thought about a house NOT having window sills.  Shows you how Old School I am!

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily  I'd never heard of a stationary tub.  We call it a slop sink.

One feature of old houses, mine included,  is NO PLUMBING AGAINST AN OUTSIDE WALL.

It gets Cold in New England. NO old houses in their original confuguration have water pipes against an outside wall.  No one I know with plumbing on an inside wall has ever had a problem.  Folks who rebuild so the sink is under a window Learn the error of their ways around here.

Honored Contributor

That's a cool term, "stationary tub",  @Desert Lily !   Our ancient basement where the washer and dryer are, do have one adjacent-- it is decrepit, but works just fine.  I had to stop and think what we call it-- I think "laundry tub" or "laundry sink" were the first things that came to mind.

I like learning these regional variations.

Let's see, what "old school" things would I like.  If I can be totally off the wall, I'd LOVE a secret passage.  One where you lean on a panel or twist a sconce or something, and a seamless door opens in the wall, beckoning you...... where?   Some houses on the Underground Railroad trail had those, and a good thing, too.  I know of a huge old pile in Toronto that has at least one elaborate secret passage too. 

Failing that, I'd like:  1) a turret  2) a porte cochere (sp?) 3) a midcentury-type outdoor brick barbecue like the one my Dad had built.  To me it looked like a castle or a fort, and was very fun to play in.     

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt, I'm not sure where you live, but in my part of the Midwest not every home manufactured in the last 50 years even has a laundry "room"! Of the 8 homes I've owned in the last 50 years, only 2 of them had a laundry "room", and only 1 of those had a laundry sink! The rest of the laundry areas have been and are a closet sized area that are just large enough for the washer and dryer!