Respected Contributor

Re: 2 Old School House Features

@candys mine wrote:

@jubilant  Honestly that threw me for a second. I don't think I ever thought about a house NOT having window sills.  Shows you how Old School I am!

My cats would not know what to do without window sills!!  How would they check out what the world outside is doing?  They need to keep an eye on the birds!

Honored Contributor

@hellodali   They don't build homes much anymore with window sills or what some call casings. I think they add so much character to the home. Yes, my grandma's cats loved them, too.  I always admired Aunt Gladys's window sills.  She would have lovely plants and "starters" in clear glass vases or jars setting in them and it looked so fresh and clean.  

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@hellodali   They don't build homes much anymore with window sills or what some call casings. I think they add so much character to the home. Yes, my grandma's cats loved them, too.  I always admired Aunt Gladys's window sills.  She would have lovely plants and "starters" in clear glass vases or jars setting in them and it looked so fresh and clean.  

@jubilant  I guess my cats and I will stay in our 70 year old condo.  We have wide window sills, wide baseboards, ceiling molding and beautiful wood framing around all the interior doors. 

My grandmother would also have her "starters" in jars and plants sitting on the sills.  Those were some wonderful times. 

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily - I hope you find what you want, and it should be easy to do that. I am a little confused about the "old school " sun porch or sun room. They're pretty popular in new construction here, from small garden homes to what some call "McMansions."  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine  Placing plumbing against an outside wall isn't just a New England thing. Nebraska is bitterly cold in the winters, too. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows plumbing goes on inside walls or it freezes in the winter no matter how well the insulation may be!! 

We did purchase a big, old Colonial house (built in 1922) in Ohio years ago. The kitchen sink was against an outer wall. We were young (late 20's) and it was only our third home. My husband reminded me that we would have to open the doors under the sink every night to help the heat keep the pipes from freezing. On really cold nights, he would go downstairs and run the water through the faucets every couple of hours to keep them from freezing. I slept right through his efforts, but it worked; we didn't have any frozen pipes but our neighbors always did.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

Sorry to be ignorant, but what are "Old School House" features?

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@caroln242   

People also ask

Super Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@caroln242   

People also ask

Oh, Jubilant, now you're REALLY going to think I'm ignorant!   I totally misread or misunderstood the title.  I thought Old School Features was a type of decorating I'd never heard of, like Modern Farmhouse or Rustic Chic.  My brain just wasn't working on all cylinders when I read that!

Actually, old school kind of describes my kind of decorating.  Woman Wink

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@caroln242   

People also ask

Oh, Jubilant, now you're REALLY going to think I'm ignorant!   I totally misread or misunderstood the title.  I thought Old School Features was a type of decorating I'd never heard of, like Modern Farmhouse or Rustic Chic.  My brain just wasn't working on all cylinders when I read that!

Actually, old school kind of describes my kind of decorating.  Woman Wink

@caroln242   NO, I didn't think that! I think the fact that the word house was used in the title made me stop and think a moment, too! Nothing against OP as I have done similar things in some of my titles...just ask anyone here.... they could confirm that!  LOL

Honored Contributor

Laundry chute, flour bin and pullout cutting board. We called it a bread board and it was right above our cutlery drawer.