Honored Contributor

1930'S MUSKOKA LOG COTTAGE

[ Edited ]

I really like the "Style at Home" site.  They often feature the more quirky houses of "real people".  For those familiar, this 1930's cottage is in the legendary Muskoka lakes region of Ontario, Canada, in Lake of the Bays township.  (I have a weakness for the region, as my mother grew up in the rocky, wooded 'near-north' of Canada. Her Dad's general store catered to the many summer visitors from both Canada and "the States", as the U.S. is affectionately called there).

Bear in mind that "Style at Home" usually shows more detailed, "vignette-like" photos, rather than big sweeping images.  But you can get a flavor for the cottage.

I like the iron stove, the black wicker chairs, the oars, and vintage print glimpsed in living room.   And the old ironing board with lantern!

dynamic_resize.jpg

Charming dining area.  They painted those window frames white, which I think is a good "lightening" trick in a log house:

dynamic_resize.jpg

Natural berries in an enamel pitcher:

dynamic_resize.jpg

They used pebbles in several areas of the house.  Love.  By the way, I don't think tall people would have to crouch here--  standing at the sink, you're far enough away from the slope so you do have head room, I believe. 

dynamic_resize.jpg

dynamic_resize.jpg

Antique snow shoes on the wall.  I imagine they are similar to the ones my mother used routinely as a child. Nice old rustic buffet.  Love the vintage Twenties' era group photos!

dynamic_resize.jpg

Here are those river pebbles, on the floor of the bath!  I bet they would feel good on bare feet.

dynamic_resize.jpg

This owner has such a great eye.  The basket underneath those handsome wool blankets is from World War II, she says-- they used to put rations in them for troops, and drop from airplanes.  This basket held up well!

dynamic_resize.jpg

Cozy bedroom where even the ceiling is mellow wood. Blue looks beautiful in here.

dynamic_resize.jpg

Love this vintage dresser.

dynamic_resize.jpg

They capped it by having wicker rockers on their screened porch in the northern woods!

dynamic_resize.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: 1930'S MUSKOKA LOG COTTAGE

The appeal for me with this cabin/cottage is the coziness, warmth and warm feeling it has.  I too love the dresser!  The screened porch is a place I would gravitate to, I see it as a tranquil room for relaxation and reading.  

This has the look of a log cabin and when I spent summers in the mountains, a few friends lived at log cabins. and I always felt comfy in them.

Honored Contributor

Too dark and spider-y for me.  Reminds me of people's cellars.  Something of which I could never have.  Don't want to reside where spiders belong!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is this my dream cottage? No, of course not, but I'm ready to go off the grid and live right here... I love the overall feeling I get looking at this delightful and congenial abode... I love the large pebbles used as flooring and as a back splash in the kitchen... The kitchen is charming and the floors are beautiful... I adore a screened porch and I'd welcome winter in Canada, since we never seem to get one any more where I live... I don't honestly know what it is because the decorating aesthetic, overall, doesn't really capture my preferred looks or features, but I just feel a sense of comfort and security when I look at pictures of this pleasing home...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Yeah, @spiderw and @stevieb ,  it almost reminds me of the historic vintage cabins in Finland that I've occasionally seen in magazines.  Just a kind of cozy simplicity, I suppose, in a woodsy setting, that gives me a good feeling...

Honored Contributor

All it needs is a big screened in back porch and a view of the lake (with a dock of course!).  Love it!

Honored Contributor

The spirit of the original cabin lives on, and the updated kitchen and bath still fit with the cabin.

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

All it needs is a big screened in back porch and a view of the lake (with a dock of course!).  Love it!

Just what I was thinking.  I'd love to have that cottage in the woods somewhere right by a lake.  A perfect place, that would be.

Esteemed Contributor

I just love the rustic charm of this place. The kitchen! 😍 Nice place @Oznell  

Honored Contributor

Do I want his cottage as my permanent home...absolutely NO but YES YES YES as my Vacation Cottage.

It is everything a Log Cottage should be..warm, cozy,  and welcoming.