Respected Contributor

Re: 1920's CHICAGO APARTMENT

@PamfromCT wrote:

I have a secretary desk exactly like this one.  But the shelves are full of my trove of very old family photos.  Not nearly so well decorated as this one.

It all started when my DD finally took her piano when she moved and had a place for it in her new home.  It was an upright, but its removal left a big “hole” in our LR.  I found our desk in a local antiques shop.  It was in pretty good shape, except the feet looked like they had some water damage.  My DH (the fixer of all things) worked on the desk until it looked in very good shape.  I don’t remember how much it cost, except that it really was inexpensive.

As styles have changed, and traditional or Early American items are less popular, the prices of antiques and vintage furniture have gone down.  Bargains are out there if you want them.

I love this dwelling’s decorating, and I envy the huge collection of blue and white accessory pieces.  I have a few, but nothing like this home.

The secretary I have is almost identical, and I love it - it is both practical and beautiful, I inherited from my mom. 

Honored Contributor

Amazing I see so many elements that I have in my home....chinoiserie, blue and whites, even the spaniels and also foo dogs....why doesn’t my place look as grand as this one? I even have identical gold framed pictures hanging in the same grouping.
Honored Contributor

The furnishings, the rugs, the decor and art work all add up to elegance.  I could easily move into this apartment as is.

Respected Contributor

I guess a lot of us have that same secretary!  The one I have, my mom bought second hand in about 1919 & is identical to the one pictured, down to the carving on the interior cubby door.

Respected Contributor

This home is a winner!