Honored Contributor

Clara_Kimball_Young_card_2b.jpg

I0000PLSwYKj8OyU.jpg

What a provenance!   This little rustic cabin belonged to Clara Kimball Young, a noted silent film star (if you google her, wow, quite a life).  This was her modest getaway cabin in the Echo Park section of Los Angeles, and apparently in 1906, it was all fields and trees!

Designer Leanne Ford bought it for her own woodsy second home, but with the expansion of her family, I believe, has now sold it -- to an actress, fittingly. It's not my style, but I still find it so interesting, b/c it seems to be so perfectly 'her' style, and very individual.

I'd call it, let's see,  "rustic/ midcentury/ Scandinavian".  But that's not entirely it, exactly.  She does have vintage things in the mix.  I like those, the stone floors, the airy feeling, the coziness, the old wood windows thrown open to the outdoors.  That daring cement table in the "library".  The weathered brass fittings in the one small bathroom.

The one thing I'd immediately have to remove is the "biomorphic", sort of amoeba-like, lamp in living room.  Designers seem to love those, but they're a no for me!

That table in the kitchen is 12 feet long!  You'll see the full extent in the video.

395A8707_Edit.0.jpg

She's a huge "white" person, but repeatedly makes the point that stark white would never work here, so went for a soft, antique-y white.  I wonder what it was --  I always think of the B. Moore off-whites, like designer-fave "Soft Chamois", or "Ivory White" or maybe even "Navajo White"...   Anyway, I do think in this cabin a luminous off-white was a good choice to lighten what could have been a quite dark interior...

I like that she didn't succumb to the temptation to "over do" or stray into "cutesy" territory.  Here's Leanne Ford leading the tour of her remarkable little cabin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEVEfv7uzYU

Honored Contributor

Re: 1906 ECHO PARK (L.A.) CABIN

Very cool; and with a fridge for @SharkE!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell, that's my favorite, so far, though I'm not a fan of the light over the kitchen table. Thanks. Love the fridge.

Honored Contributor

I love this cabin. The bedroom is my favorite room. The off white, stone, windows..all what I would love in a cabin. 

The only thing I am not crazy about is the lighting...I would probably change that.

Honored Contributor

Loved this @Oznell .  I didn't care for the mirrored coffee table in the LR or the other modern touches.  I could move right in with a few touches!

Honored Contributor

I have the same feeling about that airy bedroom, @DREAMON .  It has a casual, almost improvised feeling, but to me, comfortable.  Fun to go to sleep with fresh air pouring in through the French doors!

Respected Contributor

Love, love everything about this cabin - could live there very happily.  Love it all.  Thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So, as is often the case, I'll be the naysayer... I like the rustic cabin and love the stone floors, but her decorating choices, with very few exceptions, strike me as affected and don't do a thing for me. The only way I'm taking this cabin is with a top to bottom and front to back do-over.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I like the size and comfort of this cabin but I would decorate it to my taste.  There are some very nice touches but I am not a fan of it all.  Love the stove fireplace!

Honored Contributor

I'd like to know the creamy white wall color choices she used, too.

Do you know the address, @Oznell?  I'd be curious how much a cabin in Echo Park costs 😬