Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

If your trash can is sitting open in your kitchen it's worth it.

I cannot believe when they build homes they don't make a place for the trash can.

Our house had a trash compactor in it. We took it out years ago & fixed that cabinet to hold 2 kitchen size trash cans in a pull out rack.

I hate seeing trash cans sitting out in the kitchen.

@Nightowlz.  I know what you are saying but my house was built in 1959 and kitchen is not big enough for cans in the cabinet. But...my sister has the can in the cabinet right next to the sink and I hate it! It seems every two seconds I have to open the door and pull out the can. For me it just is very inconvenient, but it does look better.

@proudlyfromNJ 

I hear what you are saying. I am opening it every 2 seconds. I just leave it open when I'm in the kitchen cooking or food prep.

My MIL has hers sitting in the kitchen but she uses an elastic band off an old pair of underwear to hold the bag in place. It really looks tacky.

My sister keeps hers in the pantry. I know when I'm there I'm in & out all the time. LOL!!!

They just need to make a place for it when they build the home so it does not look so out of place.

Some kitchens have an ok spot to put it but some don't.

@Nightowlz.  Agree with everything you said! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: $126 for a trash can ?

[ Edited ]

I bought my Simple Human wastebasket (step pedal,not auto) over 10 years ago and its still working and looks like new. My mom bought a cheaper Simple Human knock off and it was broken within the first month. When mine goes, I’ll replace it with another Simple Human product. We also use the SH covered mini step cans in the bathrooms, much to the dog’s dismay. No trash can looting in our house!  I really like the brand. 

Honored Contributor

Some people have beaitiful high end kitchens with granite and gorgeous appliances.  Doubtful they'd want a tacky $15 plastic trash can adjacent to their island.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I have the trash can, and love it.  I refurbished this mid century modern house including the over sized kitchen, and the trash can looks perfect.  But wish it did take itself out.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

My golden would love it. Perfect height for her to walk by it and have it open automatically for her to get inside....LOL!

Respected Contributor

I have two dogs and was constantly finding my cheap kitchen plastic trash cans knocked over, rummaged, damaged and chewed upon!

(Yes, big dogs can stand on their back feet and look into a can to see what smells interesting and what they might want to grab.)

Bit the bullet over five years ago and put out a high amount as well for the Simplehuman 40 liter stainless steel fingerprint proof covered stepcan.

Since then, not one problem with dog accessibility.  The trash can always looks clean and tidy--and stylish. It is also quite easy to clean.

MONEY WELL SPENT!!

Honored Contributor

The lid on my cheap $22 Walmart trash can will lock.

It also have the foot thingy.

More than adequate for my needs.

Respected Contributor

It is about the look. Not the money.

If one does not care what the trash can looks like wherever they put it,

then why not just buy a simple plastic one.

If one wants a more streamlined looking one,

then a good reliable one will of course cost more.

Personal taste.

Your kitchen, your trash can.

I happen to like my stainless can for my kitchen. Got mine quite a few years ago.

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

Had been tempted by the simple human one for a long time. Was wondering if you can keep the lid open on the can if you want it? I like to be able to keep it open when I'm peeling and preparing food then have it closed. I ended up getting one at sams for $49. Pretty brass colored stainless steel. The only thing we don't like about it is we stub our toe on that food pedal constantly. Our plastic one was made into the can and we just can't seem to get used to this one. Otherwise, it's a great can. Also wanted that one that has 2 sections for the recycling and trash. Just couldn't spend that much, but I love the idea.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one of the Simple Human trash cans last year when we moved into our condo.

Best purchase ever!  I love it as it works nicely, it's quiet and always looks clean as it is a no fingerprint stainless finish.   BTW, I bought it on the big A for $99.00, no shipping, no tax, scored!!!