Honored Contributor

Re: 1200 SQUARE FOOT HOUSE IN GREENWICH VILLAGE!

@PINKdogWOOD,  and @Patriot3 ,   I'm guessing in the renovation, they re-oriented the two adjacent houses, so that the arch you reference and the doorway you enter through are on the BACK of the house-- not the side that faces the street.  They imply this in the article.  And if you check the house plans illustrated, it starts to make a little bit of sense.  I too found it confusing, but these are the plans-- the "Habitually Chic" article included them with the images of the house.

@Solar Is My Name,  if you google "Habitually Chic",  the site should pop right up.

@sometimesQVCaddict,   I prefer small spaces too--  we live in a small, 1910 cottage that was originally built as a little "mother-in-law" cottage for the larger Victorian next door!   If my dining room is 11 feet by 11 feet, I'm lucky.

However, this Greenwich Village house is small by "house standards" in Manhattan-- the second smallest in the city.  I commented on the kitchen mainly b/c I couldn't find a refrigerator!  Perhaps there's a teeny one in the lower cabinets, or in a nook we can't see.  But, were it me, I think I would have carved out a little more space in the renovation for a slightly roomier kitchen.

The bedrooms are tiny too-- the master being only 8 and a half feet wide.  I think while renovating they made a decision to give maximum space to that glorious, double-plus height living room, therefore 2nd floor rooms had to occupy less space.  It was a trade-off, but in this case, so worth it.

There's something about that soaring living room that to me, is architecturally so exciting.

Oh, ditto, @just bee ,   that wall color is one of my favorites too.  It's a "hazy" blue, not a cold one.  Always a cheerful backdrop, even in gray winter, which is why I chose a similar shade for my living room.

Valued Contributor

I do love that blue too!! I was thinking a garden green for my next project redecorating/renovating room, but now liking the light blue seeing this space!
Esteemed Contributor

To live in 1200 square feet in the West Village,  be it an apartment or a house, is quite luxurious. 

The average studio apartment size in my building is 20 x 12, excluding the kitchen. 

The current market rent is quite unbelievable. 

Honored Contributor

the sq footage is good for me, but not all the stairs--want a one level --it is very grand tho---

Respected Contributor

@Oznell, If you look at the floor plans they have the kitchen area size as 17 X 11. There is plenty of room for a better kitchen and a full size refrigerator. I wonder if this kitchen was the original and they decided to leave it to maintain as much of the original house as possible. They certainly got the yellow right. I never have any luck with yellow. . It always seems to go on so soft and the next morning, a neon horror. I finally gave up.

It looks like the house has been staged to sell. If you look at the first photo the blue chairs with the fringe are by the fireplace and the dining table too. I bet meals on a cold day were shared there.   My husband and I used to do the same thing here in winter.

There are some well used wing chairs in the sitting area with the ottoman used as a coffee table. The large window above is unadorned with no giant plant obstructing the view. I actually like this version better.

I could spend hours in the garden. Love that, sans mirror Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I lived 5 days a week for 2+ months in a NYC apt in Greenwich Village about 8 years ago. Let me tell you I didn't know what a typical "tiny" NYC kitchen was till I saw it with my own eyes! And this was a 750k 1 bedroom apartment in a very nice building. I'm sure it's worth well over a million in today's market.
Honored Contributor

While I certainly wouldn't do everything they did with regard to either the renovation or the decorating, I'd be hard pressed not to love this place. Many beautiful elements, both fixed and movable and, for me, the overall space is not so small. The biggest change I'd make is that I've never cared for unduly high ceilings and find all that unusuable volume to be a bit of a waste. While I'd have kept the arched window, I'd have forgone the extra height and the skylight and allocated more space to a more usable second floor. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

It took me way too long to figure out what a puddy is 🙄

I like some of it and heartily dislike the rest.  It must be in a great location.

It took me way too long to figure out what a puddy is 🙄

@tansy, me too, LOL and I'm am owned by cats.

Honored Contributor

I really like the interior spaces and architectural details. Some of the furnishings and accessories a bit too formal and elegant for me. I'm not a fan of the color mixing and heavy draperies, but I think the design elements work together. Overall, it's quite a beautiful home. I like the yellow kitchen and the outdoor space best. 

Trusted Contributor

Cute little house!  I would change up some of the furniture.  I really liked the soft yellow in the kitchen and the light blue in the other rooms.  But the best part of course was that adorable kitty cat!