Honored Contributor

Re: 10 TIPS TO BETTER DECORATING

Me too, @Catiele, I find pitchers irresistable, plus they're practical.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell A good tip for trying to decide on a paint color for a room..........go to Home Depot and get  left over pieces of drywall about 2 x 4 or a little larger.  The number is dependent on how many paint colors you are deciding on, I would suggest 3 pieces.  Paint each one the color of your choice.  Move it behind your furniture, move it around the room to see how it catches the light in the daytime and do the same in the evening to see what the color looks like at night.  Paint will look different during the day than in the evening.  You can place the paint board next to your furniture as well to see if it "works".  Since the paint board is a larger size, it gives you a far better idea of what it will look like in your room, rather than painting a small section of the room.  It makes it far easier.  You can take the paint board with you if you are looking for drapes, this way you can place the board next to the drape you are thinking about purchasing and see if it will work!  Takes a lot of worry out of  "Did I make a mistake, will it work?"

Honored Contributor

Great tip that can save so much painting "heartache" @Somertime, thanks!

Honored Contributor

I too couldn't take my eyes off of the gorgeous stove.

I started adding touches of black to my home a few years ago and really like that.

I really enjoyed this video and found it very interesting...Thank YouWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh boy....I'm the odd one out here....

I thought her kitchen looked horrible.

The stove was a monstrosity--I guess for the sake of having it.

Took away easy access to upper cabinets (on the end) and countertop.

The last lower cabinet is totally useless, (!) fake cabinet door panel.  ALL DEAD SPACE.  

No wonder she needs to store her batteries, baggies and dishwasher tabs in pitchers everywhere!

Ugh, I could go on, but I won't.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm,  I know I could probably never figure out how to operate that stove, and would be scared of it!  But it's so vintage (from the Twenties) and the silvery chrome part shimmers and captures the light so tantalizingly-- it captivated me in spite of myself...

Honored Contributor

I've been keeping extra plastic bags from the grocery store in one of my countertop canisters for years.  They're in this one.  I keep dog food in another, and use the two largest (without lids, of course) for cooking tools (wooden spoons, etc.)

DSCN0559.JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Here's a postscript to tell how "Kelly" in this video inspired me, along with @Catiele.

Like both of them, I love pitchers.  Before I watched the video, I had three out for display--  the aforementioned vintage amber glass one that I keep a Luminara candle in (the wavy old glass disguises the plastic flame when not "lit"!);  a porcelain one that has a metallic gold and pewter leaf design on it-- that one holds some bare branches;  and a Wedgwood creamware one with the famous dog handle.  Of course, they weren't grouped together, but in different areas or different rooms.

Unlike Kelly, I don't specialize in just white ironstone pitchers, but I liked her grouped vignettes.  So now, after hunting in various cupboards for possibilities, in kitchen I have a small brass tray with two good size creamers on it-- a plain white one, and a white with slim gold trim and a monogram of my maiden name...

Then on a little shelf in dining room, I put my medium blue and white rooster pitcher, with a tiny blue and white creamer, and a small cobalt blue Fenton glass pitcher in a grouping...

It's fun to get inspirations from various sources and then put your own neglected things in new arrangements, no?  I'll get tired of this too, but enjoy even tiny changes.