Honored Contributor

10 TIPS TO BETTER DECORATING

I  recently discovered this  "soulful home" blog, and have enjoyed her ideas.  This ten tips video has very tried and true concepts, but it never hurts to hear them reinforced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSEuYa-EI0

Her rooms are pretty. Especially like her recommendations of smart layering, creating personal vignettes, and one that almost all designers say, have at least one black element in the room.  I heard this years ago, and it's definitely helpful if like me, you go for sort of light, airy, ethereal rooms.  Having something black immediately grounds things, and keeps your room from drifting off into the stratosphere, ha.

It could be a black lampshade,  or stack of books,  or ebony table, anything.  For me, it is just a few touches of iron.  I have some black iron lamp bases.  I reinforce that with a black lantern and a few primitive iron candlesticks.  Keeps things from heading into too 'sweet' or 'cutesey' territory, in my opinion... 

Respected Contributor

Re: 10 TIPS TO BETTER DECORATING

Love her beautiful kitchen!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

Thanks for posting these ideas! I never knew of the black decorating tip. I think I've done this instinctively, especially in the living room, which is really the music room.

The ebony piano, of course, is the central statement, and I have black accents to complement that.

I am in a bit of a quandry about the office, however. Office which doubles as a guest bed via an upscale futon. Not the decorating part, but the placement of things. Still not happy with this, so more pondering required on my part.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee-- Me too, I was drooling over that stove!

Offices are hard for me too, @Harpa--  I've never been happy with ours.  Best of luck with figuring out your furniture placement!

Trusted Contributor

We have the oil rubbed bronze fixtures which followed into the door handles, etc.  From there, I gravitated the same to other areas, the darker metal base of a lamp, like you said, @Oznell.  I have metal art across a wall. I don’t think I was doing this with any specifics of dark in each room but it did come together the way I like. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Oznell, for the informative decorating video.  I enjoy decorating and receive compliments,  but I am always open to suggestions.  It is all about taste and what makes you comfortable and happy, just like the clothes you choose to wear.  I have many family pictures throughout the house and wall art.  I like colors, not stark white walls.  I have mixed furniture, not one specific style and many knic knacs.

With that all being said,  as I get older, I would like to down size and move into smaller place.  However, the tips given in the video are good ones and food for thought for those who are looking for change.  

Decorating is fun and enjoyable and even if you cannot affort a lot, you can find many items of reasonable cost in different stores.  It is all a matter of surrounding yourself with comfort and your style so that there is no place like home!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell @I'm drooling too. Reminds me of my grandma's stove in her Detroit home, (home sadly has been demolished). Such delicious Italian meals she made on that old fashioned stove. She also had glass front white cupboards which I copied into my kitchen re-do.

The latest trend now is incorporating shelves (fewer cupboards). Not totally eliminating cupboards, just adding shelves to areas near the stove and prep areas. I like it a lot.

Loved the video, thanks for sharing. 💚 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Glass front cupboards and shelves, @LoveMyBaby--  drooling again!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell    I too just discovered “soulful home” yesterday and loved it. Her home is adorable and she made several good points with the ten decorating tips. 

Respected Contributor

Enjoyed the video. Would love that sink. Also she collects pitchers as do I.