Esteemed Contributor

Re: 10 Decorating Trends Designers Wish Would Go Away Already

She-sheds.........My friend had her hubby build one for her and I think it looks silly. Too hot to sit in it because there is no air and the windows don't give you enough of a breeze. I think she regrets it now, but won't say that to her hubby!

Honored Contributor

All the furniture in my daughter's home is oversized because.....

SIL - 6'7"

GS - 6'4"

DD - 5'5" Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I'll take mid-century modern all day every day.

Edison bulbs, not so much

Honored Contributor

Well, I have to disagree with most of what these designers said! I can do without the cow rug (or any animal print for that matter), but see value or beauty in some form or other of most of the other things they listed.

I guess I'm just not 'with it'. Never have been, probably never will! LOL

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I agree with #10 - I don't like vintage or antiques.

So don't use them - just because YOU don't like them doesn't mean other folks don't like them.Just because something is trendy doesn't mean you are required to use it.

Wow.   This is over the top even for you.

She was giving her own opinion.  She never said everyone else had to feel the same way. 

Honored Contributor

These tops of things crack me up. Designers are the ones that started these trends.  Now they want them to go away so they can convince people what they have is passe and needs to be changed.  LOL

I'm not and never was a fan of a bar cart.  I remember way back in the day my relatives had one.  In gold just like the one pictured here.  LOL

I'm not an antiques or vintage fan personally but I don't think they are a trend at all. 

Personally, I love brushed metal.  When we redid our bathroom less than a year ago, we opted for a brushed nickel shower head and tub faucet and we also put a brushed nickel faucet in our new kitchen sink.  I'm not a fan of polished stainless and I detest gold.     

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

These tops of things crack me up. Designers are the ones that started these trends.  Now they want them to go away so they can convince people what they have is passe and needs to be changed.  LOL

I'm not and never was a fan of a bar cart.  I remember way back in the day my relatives had one.  In gold just like the one pictured here.  LOL

I'm not an antiques or vintage fan personally but I don't think they are a trend at all. 

Personally, I love brushed metal.  When we redid our bathroom less than a year ago, we opted for a brushed nickel shower head and tub faucet and we also put a brushed nickel faucet in our new kitchen sink.  I'm not a fan of polished stainless and I detest gold.     

So true. It is ALL about separating us from our money.

Honored Contributor

I like most of these trends...though I certainly don't have most of them.  I think there is a place for most depending on one's taste and home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @lolakimono - Guilty of #4, the succulents. We have a tiered garden of them set up on a table in our sunroom (the kitties won't go near them Smiley Wink)

I also have family antique furniture. I am lucky to have the pieces, and no matter what the decorators say, I think they look great. But my whole house isn't antiques - they're kind of mixed in.

My friend is an interior designer (not decorator). She said a long time ago the stainless steel in the kitchen trend wouldn't last. Actually, she told me in Europe the trend was white or black. She has black in her kitchen; I still like white. But every house for sale around here has stainless steel. If the current owners don't have it already, they're having it put in. I guess that's what most people want ?

Respected Contributor

@vermint wrote:

The reason the designers (who started these trends in the first place!) wish they would go away is so they can get more new design projects! Hey, designers gotta eat/pay bills, too!

I do to/buy for my house what I like and want...not what some designer says is in style. I took down the wall between my kitchen/dining room 5 years ago and wonder why I didn't think of it before. I have granite countertops that I would buy again in a skinny minute, but I will never have anything but white appliances as long as that is a color choice. I love some oversized furniture, and I have a few antiques and vintage things.

As long as I like what's in my house, that's all that matters!

@vermint  I agree completely with you about trends being created by the 'professionals.'  I am firmly convinced the day is coming when open concept homes will be described as noisy, cavernous, cold and hard to keep tidy. Conversely, walls will once again be desirable for their privacy, organizational and architectural features while carpet will be luxurious, quiet and warm again.

BTW, I also agree with you about white appliances, over-sized furniture, and vintage.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.