Honored Contributor

Re: 10 Decorating Trends Designers Wish Would Go Away Already

#10-

Oversized furniture

Respected Contributor

I agree with #10 - I don't like vintage or antiques.

Honored Contributor

I'm guilty of oversized furniture. If I like it & it fits the space I'm ok with it. I have to buy what I like. LOL!!!

I also like brushed stainless & open spaces.

Esteemed Contributor

@hannah64 wrote:

Granite and stainless steel.  No matter how much I clean them, they are streaky and look messy.  

Still have white appliances and formica countertops!  Never looked better!

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

So don't use them - just because YOU don't like them doesn't mean other folks don't like them.Just because something is trendy doesn't mean you are required to use it.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I'm guilty of oversized furniture. If I like it & it fits the space I'm ok with it. I have to buy what I like. LOL!!!

Me too. I have a big oversized chair and ottoman in my LR and it is the first thing everyone wants to sit in. It just cries out for you to curl up in it.

Respected Contributor

The reason the designers (who started these trends in the first place!) wish they would go away is so they can get more new design projects! Hey, designers gotta eat/pay bills, too!

I do to/buy for my house what I like and want...not what some designer says is in style. I took down the wall between my kitchen/dining room 5 years ago and wonder why I didn't think of it before. I have granite countertops that I would buy again in a skinny minute, but I will never have anything but white appliances as long as that is a color choice. I love some oversized furniture, and I have a few antiques and vintage things.

As long as I like what's in my house, that's all that matters!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

So don't use them - just because YOU don't like them doesn't mean other folks don't like them.Just because something is trendy doesn't mean you are required to use it.

All I said was I didn't like them. 

Everybody is free to like and decorate their home as they wish. 

Respected Contributor

I love open concept.  I don't think I could live any other way again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

These are the ones on the list that I like too!  Actually, my family picked out the big comfy couch and oversized chairs.  They looked great in our previous home because the den was huge; now I feel like they don't work as well, but they won't fit in the stairwell to move them to the TV den here!  

Love the open spaces, but it cuts down on wall space.  I have a display cabinet that just doesn't seem to work anywhere.  All of my collectibles are in boxes because I never settled on a good spot for the cabinet to display them.  

I like brushed metals.  Have the brushed stainless as kitchen appliances.  If they ever need to be replaced, I'd go with them again.  Also, we have a few brushed stainless pieces upstairs--tables, chairs, lamps, photo frames, shelves.  No problems with streaks or fingerprints and very durable.