Respected Contributor

Re: 🖍️ 🖍️ Calling All Who Color! 🖍️🖍️

@lolakimono, I love your work! I did buy a couple of Mandalay and Escher type books, but I love sea life.

I am using Prismacolor: I have the exact same set you have-and they are amazing. Make sure you have a really good sharpener close by. Because it's portable, I like manual sharpeners.

Prismacolor makes a couple-and my favorite is a cylindrical sharpener with two sharpening choices: sharp and super sharp.

I do use erasers for blending-well worth the minimal investment.

I did buy a set of 150 Suddee Style Pencils on Amazon: you get more for the money, but they don't compare to the vulnerability of Prismacolor.

I also invested in a fairly inexpensive set of watercolor pencils that I have yet to experiment with.

"Capping" it off, I bought an inexpensive set of 60 Tanmit fine line markers, but a couple arrived already dried out.

I love the colored pencils-I just always felt awkward with paints, but now I'm willing to learn watercolors. Watercolors and colored pencils were made for each other!

I am really excited about this drawing course I'm taking. Craftsy just had a fantastic sale and I bought a couple of beginner and intermediate DVDs for colored pencils....just try to make a couple of gradient boxes with your pencils going from the darkest to the lightest shade using just one pencil such as indigo blue....you will be amazed and delighted!

If you get the Duluth Trading Company Catalogue, savor it: that's all colored pencils and watercolor....it looks intimidating and you might think "I could never do that" but these are skills that can be learned and enjoyed.

In the mean time, I am just totally absorbed with my coloring books: it totally engages me and I think it's helping me reclaim some of the fine motor skill I thought was gone!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@bflowing, my DD is in Votech for graphic arts. She loves animation and at the top of her wish list is Copic markers. I have looked around casually, but do you have an on-line source for them? What kind of paper is used?

I am also looking for a thrifty source of sketch and watercolor papers...if you have any favorite sources, could you post them?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Super Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@bflowing, my DD is in Votech for graphic arts. She loves animation and at the top of her wish list is Copic markers. I have looked around casually, but do you have an on-line source for them? What kind of paper is used?

I am also looking for a thrifty source of sketch and watercolor papers...if you have any favorite sources, could you post them?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2. . . . May I refer to my earlier post in this thread and suggest you check out dickblick.com. As an example, I recently purchased a 150 piece Prismacolor pencil set for about $80. This set can sell for upwards of $200 at other retailers. This was not a sale, either. It's worth a look, at least.

Hugs . . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Respected Contributor

@q-girl, WOW! That's amazing! I don't know why I didn't think to check them out....Off hand, do you know if they carry Holbein pencils? At their prices, they must be really special.....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Super Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@q-girl, WOW! That's amazing! I don't know why I didn't think to check them out....Off hand, do you know if they carry Holbein pencils? At their prices, they must be really special.....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2. . . . I just checked the website. They carry Holbein products, but I did not see pencils - but all kinds of painting supplies, pastels, and water soluble crayons. There is actually a sale on now, and the pencil set I purchased is actually now $69.95. That's the best price I've seen. Happy shopping ! !

Hugs . . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono, Prismacolor is my favorite colored pencil set.  I like to experiment and you can use rubbing alcohol to blend colored pencils with a Q-tip.  Enjoy your new hobby. Heart

Respected Contributor

@q-girl, I picked up that set: I paid a little over that for 72 pencils- what a steal! Especially the way I sharpen them! I also picked up a couple of papers-nothing expensive at this point in my new chosen craft.

Thanks for the tip!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2

@mzlg

@q-girl

@roxxy1

@qualitygal

@ALRATIBA

@bflowing

@Krimpette

Here are the ones that I have finished since I last posted. Cat Happy

This one I started with Sharpies, and filled in with the Pentel colored pens.  I also used the Prismacolor pencils to fill in.

Honored Contributor

This was done with just the Pentel color pens and Prismacolor pencils, channeling my handsome boy cat.

Honored Contributor

This was done with Pentel color pens, Prismacolor pencils and some Sharpie details at the end, channeling my girl cat.