Regular Contributor

Generally my family's celebrations were marred by my parents drunkeness (I won't give details--you can probably figure it out for yourselves) but one thing that was always a lot of fun was the way our cats reacted.

One year we had a manger scene and to give it a more realistic effect, placed it on a pile of straw. Almost constantly our cat would knock all the figures down and out of the way, and take a blissfull nap on the straw. Surprisingly, my mother--who had a hair-trigger temper--would just laugh and put it back together again. And again, and again.

One year I came home from school and the Christmas tree had fallen over on our floor heater (gee, I wonder how THAT happened!) and was onthe verge of igniting. Again, my mother just laughed--we all did, even though we had to go out and buy another tree, re-decorate it, etc.

And of course the cat(s) always batted at the decorations and always broke a few. And once again, my hot-tempered mother would just laugh and buy more.

What are some of the fun things you remember? (There's lots more I could tell you about from when our son with a little guy but THAT could go on for pages and pages.)

Respected Contributor

@Huge Hannah  ha ha ha.  oh the memories, of my dad being drunk on christmas.  

i remember the year we started the tradition of opening all our gifts on christmas eve. 

yup, you guessed it.  dad was passed out, mom was pi**ed off about it, and told us to go for it.  

yippee!!  started back in the early 70's.  

lived in a resort vacation community, lots of partying, both parents were "experimenting" with weed. and the wine was flowing.  great role models for a impressionable already somewhat wildchild.  and i lived to tell about it.  

i feel lucky, i made it through the '70's.

Honored Contributor

@Huge Hannah  I thought you were going to change your name??  I changed mine thanks to the excellent instructions given on this forum.  I wanted to do it but never thought to ask so thanks to you I have the name I want!!!

Esteemed Contributor

When my little sister & brother (twins) were in kindergarten. They were sure Daddy was Santa. When they came home, he was vacuuming!  He never did that.  hahaha  Busted!!

We used to lay on the floor under the tree and look up at the lights. DH did that with his sisters.  Our sons did it too.

Dad worked at a Joliet radio station as a DJ.  On Christmas Eve we'd go there to see where Santa was.... on the teletype machine.

When I was a kid, Christmas at Grandma's house....  Uncle somehow missed seeing Santa. How weird was that?

Now Christmas Eve is at my Mom's house, just like her Mom used to do.

When our sons were little DH & I decorated the whole house when they were asleep.  They woke up to a Christmas wonderland.

Grandma (rip) used to hide a pickle in the tree for our sons,  to get an extra gift.  Now DH does it for our grandson, like his Mom used to do.

DH & I open our gifts from each other Christmas Day at night, when it's just the two of us.

Respected Contributor

Original family  Mother and Father ... fighting on Christmas .. I was about 8 when I actually said

to them Christmas Day ... can't you two quit for even one day ...

Later on .. Stepfather ... drunk on Christmas .. actually drunk everyday ...

One year my boyfriend and I helped my Mother put stuff together for

the younger kids ....

For some of us .. not all was Merry and Bright .... but I have been able

to change things in my own life .....

Regular Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Huge Hannah  I thought you were going to change your name??  I changed mine thanks to the excellent instructions given on this forum.  I wanted to do it but never thought to ask so thanks to you I have the name I want!!!

I received some instructions but it just seemed too complicated so I've left it as it was.

Valued Contributor

I had a father who also hit the "sauce", but also could cook a great meal while he was in that state on Christmas day. My mother was not much of a cook and did not do anymore than she had to. So when I was growing up I remember my dad's 2 older sisters coming to the house a few days before Christmas with their arms loaded down with presents and boxes and boxes of fudge, divinity, cookies, and candies of every kind. They liked to bake and cook. It was wonderful. But, the self-centered person I was for many years as I grew into an adult, I did not keep in touch with those special aunts and I am now so sorry how I neglected to visit them or write. If only I could go back now with some common sense like I gained over the later years in life, it would be wonderful.